SCREEN RESOLUTION DETECTION AND NOTIFICATION Extension

In this section you can share self-made extensions with other users of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
There is a dedicated section for commercial extensions.
me.prosenjeet

SCREEN RESOLUTION DETECTION AND NOTIFICATION Extension

Post by me.prosenjeet »

Screen resolution detection and notification extension

Well this is a small utility extension which may come handy.

Introduction:

We all design websites for various resolutions. However, you may have noted if you view a site made for 1024x768 resolution on 800X600 resolution you get a big horizontal scroll. At this point the person watching the site will not enjoy the feel of the site and may actually dump it.

This extension comes handy at this point…it will write on the web page that
“This page is best viewed on……..Your current resolution is __________. Please change it to view it bestâ€
Last edited by me.prosenjeet on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check the new Chat GPT and Malware detect extensions at the link below

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
---------------------------------------------------------
www.Lucknowwebs.com
Patr100

Post by Patr100 »

Thanks for the effort but few if any are going to change their screen resolution for one site then change it back, evenif they kniew how to (you would be surprised how many wouldn't)

It's like those irritating anti IE messages to tell a visitor to dump thier browser or "this site is best viewed with etc etc"

It's an imperfect world out there but we must adapt our sites and test under varied conditions not expect users to change settings etc .
-
Last edited by Patr100 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

I agree.
What I had thought as an utility...like we see the message "This site best viewed in IE7" on many sites . The message from this extension will inform the user where this site will look best. In the extension the messages are editable so actually you may not put the last line ("If possible please change the resolution") or use any word that suits you.
Check the new Chat GPT and Malware detect extensions at the link below

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
---------------------------------------------------------
www.Lucknowwebs.com
mbrowne

Post by mbrowne »

Interesting. How difficult would it be to add a math function to detect less than a specified resolution. As it is even a higher resolution, which usually wouldn't be too much of a problem, will trigger the message.