Google Maps API v3 ***Re-Released 17/07/2014*** (Deprecated)

In this section you can share self-made extensions with other users of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
There is a dedicated section for commercial extensions.
Islander

Post by Islander »

Hi BaconFries, I've tested this extension and it just works great! I have to thank you for giving us this possibility to include Googlemaps. Wish you well. :D :D
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

@ Islander thank you glad it was of use to you... :D
Islander

Post by Islander »

Hi BaconFries,
Can an html link be included in the ballon box?
I've tried to add the follw:
<a href="http://www.w3schools.com">This is a link</a>
but on preview the map doesn't show up. Is this causing an error?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

@ Islander I will try and get a look at this tonight and see if I can fix this as it should be possible to just write like this
<br>Website: <a href="http://www.yoursite.com"</a></br>
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

If you wish to use the extension then it will require a api key this is only available if you have a google account you can make a account here
https://www.google.com/accounts/Service ... ageAccount
once you have this then you will need to access this url
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/signup.html to get your key scroll down the page to were it says My web site URL: insert your site address like this http://www.kgband.no/ and then generate your key....

may I ask how quickly that you need to use the map the reason for asking is I am working on a newer version of the map that will use API v3 and it doesnt need any API key to work it only requires that you input details such as the latitude, longitude etc and the country code it is still a couple of days work but if you can wait it will save you having to use a api key...
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

***Update 10/09/10***
Google Maps Javascript API Version 3 this version superseeds all previous versions of the Google map extension I ask that all users update to this version as Google maps v2 official Javascript API has been officially deprecated as per Googles deprecation policy.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Your welcome :D I hope that you find it useful...
JimmyJazz

Re: Google Maps API v3 ***Update 13/09/10***

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi baconfries,

I've just loaded v3 & input the co-ordinates but all I get is a greyed out box with the google logo, the zoom + & - , the scale chart reading 1 metre to 1 foot and the map, satellite, hybrid, terrain box.

I have removed v1 google maps.

I have published the whole site locally & tried to view the page with the map from their & also from the preview in wysiwyg software.

I'm puzzled why this is not working?

Any clues would be appreciated.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

It looks like you may have inserted the long & lat in the wrong properties try reversing the way you have it a present, also just keep map ID as "map"

Note: Like Pablo I too will be away from the 5th to the 9th Dec...I will try to answer all questions as soon as I can...
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Baconfries,

I had already read previous posts about both suggestions & tried to no avail. :(

lat & long is correct & I am uninstalling & re-installing & trying to only input the lat/long & leaving all other parameters the same but when I preview or publish locally I am getting same problem.

I have even cleared the cache.

I have just upgraded from 7.0.0 to the latest version, could this be the reason I am having problems?

BTW......................thanks for fast response to earlier query 8)
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

If at all possible can you provide a url to the page the map/extension is on it would allow me to see what my be wrong... also note that this version of the extensiondoes not require you to use a API key as it is no longer needed or if this is not possible can you provide the cordinates so that I may try them...
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Note: Like Pablo I too will be away from the 5th to the 9th Dec...I will try to answer all questions as soon as I can...
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Baconfries,

unsure what to do or say........my big fault in life is trying to be a perfectionist & I have been creating the content for this site for a good few months now. I still have to add many features to this site & it is not yet ready for publishing.

However, I have deleted many of the pages & I am leaving just the basic pages for each state with only one page now attempting to use the google map.

If you could look at this page & give me some feedback on how to makit function I would really appreciate it.

http://www.spy.my/penang/queens.html

fyi..............i have only tried it in firefox & chrome.

tia
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Ok I have taken a look at your site and I have got a copy of the cordinates that you used I have tried these in the extension using IE7 and this is the result see Image 1... the address of thre club/bar in the site or location gives me different cordinates see image 2 I dont know what one you wish to use but I have tried both and are working in Preview using IE7..... you can also use this site to get you long and lat cordinates
http://www.backups.nl/geocoder.html

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Last edited by BaconFries on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi bacon,

I surrender for tonight, i got a bit stressed & had a few beers.

I will look back 2moro with a clear head. However my browser did not reveal the same result as yours!

I will review 2moro before I post reply.

In the meantime many thanks for you trying to help me, it is appreciated 8)
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Bacon,

The first map you posted gave incorrect location.

The 2nd map is the location of a map on another page & is correct for that location.

I deleted all google maps from the site & reloaded google maps into wwbs7.

I have checked the coordinates with the site you provided & input them into google map for that location.

I still cannot view the map, it is just greyed out. This is the only map installed on the site now. I have tried to view in ie, chrome & ffox & cannot view in any.

I have google maps installed in mydocs/wysiwyg,system/extensions

I am running version 7.2.1 & I am using google maps from this link http://www.mediafire.com/?ozl6by1pbb3ueyj

Is this correct or does it have to be installed in C/program files/wysiwyg?

The only webpage with a map installed is this one:

http://spy.my/penang/queens.html
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I think I may know what is wrong...are you using the streetview verion of the extension??? if so does your location allow the use of streetview?? ....Streetview is only available in certain parts of the world as of yet were "Google" have visited and taken pictures of the area so that the user can see what the area looks like other than just a map of the area...This is mentioned in the original posting....I would suggest that you try using the other version of the map Web Builder 7.1.0/Extension Builder 2.5.0 do not worry about the WB version as the extension was built using 2.5.0 extension builder and this is for WB7....

Google Maps Streetview API v3
I have added streetview to the extension please note that streetview may not be available to all users of the extension this is "Not" a fault of the extension but with "Google" so before posting that streetview does not work please check with "Google" that your location can use the streetview function
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Bacon,

I have tried your suggestion but I still cannot view the map, I only get a greyed out map.

However, I experimented with loading co-ordinates from the UK & the UK maps load every time.

I am in Malaysia & the map I was trying to view was for Penang. I have loaded co-ordinates for 2 other Malaysian cities & I get the same greyed out map.

When you click on my site can you see the map from your location?

http://www.spy.my/penang/queens.html

I remember your earlier version of google maps used to work for Malaysia so I am a bit puzzled by this :o

Any ideas :?:
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

This is starnge because if I enter the long and lat that is in the js from the demo page you gave the map works alright for me, even if I enter other long and lats for other countries ie germany, france it seems to work as it should..... :? out of curiosity does it work in preview?? can you just try adding the map to a single page no other content and see if it works....
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Bacon,

No it does not work in preview either.

Although countries like the UK do work in preview.

I just created a blank page & tried again but it still does not work.

As you say this is a strange problem but I'm unsure how to get this working. :(
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

As I say strange....I will try and look into what might be wrong but I will be away for a few days and may not be able to relpy as quick as I normally this is due to restrictions on using laptops so please be patient....:D

Note: Like Pablo I too will be away from the 5th to the 9th Dec...I will try to answer all questions as soon as I can...If I can due to restriction of using laptop....
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Bacon,

Ok,

Your input & time you have put into solving my problem is really appreciated.

However I have found that your original idea of swapping lat/long parameters did not work in streetview but since you suggested rolling back to Web Builder 7.1.0/Extension Builder 2.5.0 I did not initially swap long/lat. :oops:

Yes, yes, yes, I definitely missed that & having made the change everything loads just fine :)

However (don't you hate it when you hear that) I just loaded the co-ordinates for 9 sites within the same location, therefore the js script
overwrites whatever is in that folder & the last co-ordinates loaded displays for every site.

I now have 9 separate pages all showing the same google map location.

The obvious thing to do is change the 'map id' but if I do that the map does not load.

Is it possible to create different map id's in the same js folder?

I really appreciate the time you have put towards helping me resolve this situation 8)
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Ok a work around till I can impliment this into the extension so that you can use more than one map is this..
1. Add your first map to your page/site save the project page now browse to the folder that contains the js file it will look like this..
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/mapscript.js"></script>

Make a small change and save now open your project again add a new map to were you want again repeat what you have just done for each map so that each js has a unique name example mapscript1.js, mapscript2.js etc etc...this way you will bw able to use ans may maps you wish...When I mreturn I will add this ...
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/mapscript1.js"></script>

JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Bacon,

you say:

"save the project page now browse to the folder that contains the js file"

Where exactly is this file?
If I save the project it is a wysiwyg file until published.
I can see the published js file, is it this you are telling me to rename? :?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

@ JimmyJazz Aploigies for not getting back to you on this....I have not been able to as I have been away fro a few days and wasnt able to use laptop due to restrictions you will finfd the js file in the folder named js if yo rename this you will be able to use another map on page of your site. I will try and add a fix to the extension so that you can do this through the extension and reupload it asap...
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Bacon,

I tried re-naming each js file after publishing but the same map shows for all the maps I've published.

No worries about the delay, you already explained you were going away for a few days so totally understandable.

I've just done a soft launch of my site but I have a few issues with other things that need sorting as well, google has not indexed any of the pages yet so I have a bit of breathing space.

Look forward to when you implement the change because it is perfect for my sites needs.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

You just use like the standard map, add your lat and long of location add a icon of your choice to show location when using map you will notice the small google man on map drag him to were you wish on map and streetview will show....
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

@ JimmyJazz I havnt forgot about thisI am having to look and write a fix for this so that a new css and js files can be used for each map used...it just a bit of a puzzle but I am working on it ...aploigise for now ...
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Baconfries,

Thanks for the update, it is appreciated.

I wish I was more knowledgeable & was able to assist in some way :oops:

But when you finally solve this issue this extension will be awesome :D
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Bacon Fries,

Any updates on this fix?

Google have started indexing my site now & the first trickle of visitors are arriving.

Is there anyone in the wysiwyg community that could assist you with implementing this fix?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Hi sorry for not getting back... been really busy with outside related issues...I have been working on it and the only way to possibly fix this is to include all the code in one page instead of having external files as it is now...the downside of this is it wont validate with W3C :( that is why I bulit the extension as it is. Till I can right a better solution so that you can use more than one map you may have to revert to the old extension :( again I have to be away over the next couple of days but will be able to use laptop so will try se what can be done even if I have to just write the extension as I mentioned above ...
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

This is not possible with the extension, it can only show a set location by entering a latitude and a longitude and on click of a icon/push-pin it will display some information such a address, email etc...what you are requireing is a custom script to do what you need...From the url you provide I can see that you can copy a script that you can insert into WB using the HTML object..
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi baconfries,

Hope you had a happy christmas & new year.

Are you any closer to updating the extension yet?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

The same to you.. I had a major PC crash of Xmas and the New Year..please read this url
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=35934
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Baconfries,

Ouch!!!

Your work that pays the bills has to take priority.
I hope you can recover all your data.

I'll monitor this thread until you get back on track & can update this extension.

Hope everything works out ok.
BaconFries

Re: Google Maps API v3 ***Update 26/00/1***

Post by BaconFries »

***Update 26/01/11***
JimmyJazz

Re: Google Maps API v3 ***Update 26/01/01***

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Bacon fries,

Thanks for the update,

Has this now rectified the problem of having multiple maps on separate pages located in the same folder?

It maybe a day or so until I can implement this update on my website. I will give you feedback once I have tried.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Yes...I have made it that the map uses a iframe to be placed on each page needed, and that you can now name each map like so mylocation.html, location.html, map1.html, map20.html etc etc doing it this way allowed the extension to generate seperate maps as long as each has its own name...let me know how you get on...
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi BaconFries,

Just tested your update on 2 pages using 'preview in browser' & the good news is both loaded the correct maps :D

However, the new map expanded the page both horizontally & vertically & placed the map in the bottom right hand corner of the page, I had to scroll across & down to find it!! (could this be because of the iframe????)

I think you are going in the right direction now but it just needs a bit of further tweaking to keep the map where I place it in wysiwyg without expanding the page.

I am trying to create individual maps at a size of 400x300, the majority of these maps will be located on the right hand side of the page directly below the 4 animated gifs (unsure if this info is helpful, but....?)

An example page awaiting for map co-ordinates:

http://www.spy.my/penang/eidelweiss-cafe.html

Again, thanks for efforts to make this work, it will be an awesome extension once perfected.
JimmyJazz

Re: Google Maps API v3 ***Update 29/01/01***

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Baconfries,

Are you close to rectifying the page expansion problem with the new update?
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Update has been available since 29/01/01 after you posted "Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:06 pm"
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi Baconfries,

I tried the update & it just expanded the webpage horizontally & vertically.

Are you suggesting I use an iframe on the page that links to another separate page?

I've just read up on iframes & it seems they are used to linking to another page whereas I need the map on each individual review page.

I just tried to install the iframe on the page & place the google map inside it but it did not display.

edit...........

Just looking at iframes............if I place an iframe on the page where do I place the map? Do I have to create a separate page for it?

I've never used iframes before & do not really understand how I am supposed to implement this.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge :oops:
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Ok it is as easy as A, B, C simply add the extension to the page/postion that you want, open the extension properties set to what your require..Latitude, Longitude, Map HTMl etc etc, and since the extension is using a iframe it will call the map into the page you need it on, now when your ready to upload to your server you will have two html files one is the page that you have inserted the extension on this may be index.html and you will also have another html file this will be called (example) googlemap.html, or jimmyjazz1.html or what ever you gave it in Map HTML properties. Just to check that it was working I downloaded the page that you gave the url too, rebuilt it in WB added the extension and it working as it should I have also saved this as a WB project (wbs) and have uploaded for you to try out...I have also include the latest version of the extension....

http://www.mediafire.com/?v7u264ww67f3vhb
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi BaconFries,

Fantastic mate, you've nailed it!

Just loaded every map onto the live site & checked each one & they are all displaying their exact co-ordinates :D

There is one small issue though, when I click on any of the map icons I get this line above the address:

$heading$

I'm sure this is something I have overlooked but I cannot work out what, check it out on the map on the following link:

http://www.spy.my/penang/cheong-fatt-tze-mansion.html

I really appreciate the time you have put into implementing this alteration, but this is now a fantastic extension for anyone that wants to install many different maps on their website.

You've just helped me take one step closer to officially launching this site, but I still got some work to do (not related to maps). When ready I will announce it in the appropriate new site category on this forum & give you a special mention.

Cheers :)
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

Opps nope that you have done....it done to me I added the wrong HTML file into the extension I will fix this later and repost
JimmyJazz

Re: Google Maps API v3 ***Update 09/02/01***

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi BaconFries,

Have you fixed this small problem yet?

tia......
BaconFries

Re: Google Maps API v3 ***Update 09/02/11***

Post by BaconFries »

Yes it has been update since your last post on 29/01/11.. most recent update 09/02/11
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi BaconFries,

Thanks for that, I just updated all my maps :D
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hi BaconFries,

I only loaded the maps today & already in Google webmasters tools they are giving a HTML suggestion about the googlemap pages.

They are saying they are missing Title Tags.

Is the best solution just to exclude these in the robots file?

note:......This is the map only page, not the actual page with all info, images & where the map actually appears.
BaconFries

Post by BaconFries »

I will see what I can do about adding <title></title> and maybe some meta tags into the html..
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

Ok, sounds good.

As a temporary measure I have just excluded them in the robots file.