Google Site Search Results On Your Webpage Unicode Available

In this section you can share self-made extensions with other users of WYSIWYG Web Builder.
There is a dedicated section for commercial extensions.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

hendrikjd wrote:Thanks for your answere, but i'm a noob about some stuff.

Should the code:

<style>
#cse-search-results {width: 95%; }
</style>

be part of te Search box or the result box?

And how about the code:

<div class="cse-search-results" id="cse-search-results"></div>

On http://home.online.nl/hvdmunnik i placed for test at the homepage a searchbox. The result was placed at page "Resultaat.html"
The css code needs to be on same page as the results page.

Right-click on the results page in web builder and choose "Page HTML", then select the "Between Head Tag" and insert the css code:

Code: Select all

<style>
#cse-search-results {width: 95%; }
</style>
You will need to play about with the percentage.

Then On the results page right-click the Google Search Box Results extension and choose "HTML" then click the "Inside Tag" tab and insert the class:

class="cse-search-results"
Then save and upload entire webpage.

Regards,
Mathew
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

Hey genieuk why not update the extensions with these codes. A person who requires may change these else we keep it at default settings.

Also.... still waiting for this update :wink:
genieuk wrote:Hi,
The reason why i done it like that was because if you make it any smaller the button ends up going on a new line. Althou as you know and me to that you can change it in the code to.
I tried this previously.
But ok no problem.
What i will do later today is update it as requested.
Regards,
Mathew
this is in the page 1 of this extension.
Check the new Chat GPT and Malware detect extensions at the link below

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
---------------------------------------------------------
www.Lucknowwebs.com
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

DAMN IT!

Rite let me start again my brain is allover the place.

To hendrikjd,

CODE ABOVE IS INCORRECT. Please use code below.

The css code needs to be on same page as the results page.

Right-click on the results page in web builder and choose "Page HTML", then select the "Between Head Tag" and insert the css code:

<style>
#cse-search-results iframe {width: 15%; }
</style>
You will need to play about with the percentage.

Then On the results page right-click the Google Search Box Results extension and choose "HTML" then click the "Inside Tag" tab and insert the class:

class="cse-search-results iframe"

Then save and upload entire webpage.

Sorry i mistyped hence why it did not work. Do as stated in this post and it will work.

To me.prosenjeet,

I thought i updated months ago. Will update in the next hour.

Regards,
Mathew
Last edited by genieuk on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

me.prosenjeet,

As requested now been updated to support any width and height.

Also multiline support for Google code so no longer need to place all on one line first in notepad.

Please read first post for more information.

Regards,
Mathew
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

Hi Genieuk,

I can not access the demo results from google, the link does not work.

Best regards.
hendrikjd

Post by hendrikjd »

Genieuk,
Thank you very much.
I was out this evening but i will do as you describe and let know if the solution was right for my website.
This extensions will make WYSIWYG one of a kind. As well as the support of its users.

Update: in the mean time i did some updates and i'll think i "see the light" in case of the dimension.
But there is one small problem left. If i make the resultbox a particular height, the rest of the result below isn't shown. That's because there is no scrollbar. So i do not have results in the iframe but on the page itself. I placed an Iframe and placed the code as you told above. I also tried to place the resultbox on another page which is the result of the inline frame. I know, i made a mistake but i don't no what.
If this can be corrected, i will be very happy (More than i already am)

(Greatfully thank for patience.)
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

mandrake wrote:Hi Genieuk,

I can not access the demo results from google, the link does not work.

Best regards.
Hi Mandrake,

I am aware of that i forgot to update demo. Thanks for reminding me. To see a demo basically use my site search it is exactly the same thing. :)

Thanks,
Mathew
hendrikjd wrote:Genieuk,
Thank you very much.
I was out this evening but i will do as you describe and let know if the solution was right for my website.
This extensions will make WYSIWYG one of a kind. As well as the support of its users.

Update: in the mean time i did some updates and i'll think i "see the light" in case of the dimension.
But there is one small problem left. If i make the resultbox a particular height, the rest of the result below isn't shown. That's because there is no scrollbar. So i do not have results in the iframe but on the page itself. I placed an Iframe and placed the code as you told above. I also tried to place the resultbox on another page which is the result of the inline frame. I know, i made a mistake but i don't no what.
If this can be corrected, i will be very happy (More than i already am)

(Greatfully thank for patience.)
Hi,

I can confirm the same thing. The Google results are shown in an iframe by default by Google so no iframe is needed. Althou it seems the css code i gave you seems to interfere with Googles own code.

With my site pages are dynamic as i created my site using programming languages not web builder, so my site theme expands etc to suit content height automatically, however web builder cannot create dynamic pages so all i can suggest is making your search page wider and hopefully i maybe able to find a solution to it. Sadly Google makes restrictions on width hence why the problem your having and as web builder web pages are not dynamic there is nothing i can do i'm sorry to say.

I will try my best to see if i can come up with something that will make it work for you althou i cannot gaurantee anything will work as it is possible it could interfere with Googles own code again somehow.

Regards,
Mathew
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

Hello, the results appear on the page but they are offset from the bottom of the page (i use IE8)...

Best regards.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

mandrake wrote:Hello, the results appear on the page but they are offset from the bottom of the page (i use IE8)...

Best regards.
Thanks Mandrake,

I am currently working on one css issue that seems to only be effecting IE, nothing major.

Hopefully will get it sorted in next day or two.

Thanks for letting me know, :)

If you mean demos are not centered or aligned properly this is how it is in the inline frame. I just checked in IE8 and don't notice any problems. There is much large whitespace (gap) between footer and demo form for example but this is fine as they are only demos, if you mean something else you could always post a photo althou i think i know what you mean.

Regards,
Mathew
wjensen

Post by wjensen »

Hi, I tried to go to the download page, but was told that it is a member only page. Is that really required for that download?

Cheers
Willy
WJ, Switzerland
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

wjensen wrote:Hi, I tried to go to the download page, but was told that it is a member only page. Is that really required for that download?

Cheers
Willy
Hi wjensen,

In order to download you will need to register.

Reason for this is to stop spambots auto downloading using valuable bandwidth plus the reason for registration is in the future i will hopefully be adding member features like a forum etc. Althou nothing is final i decided on the registration system for when i add new member features in the future.

Regards,
Mathew
hendrikjd

Post by hendrikjd »

OK Mathew. Thanks voor your support on my problem. Perhaps you will find a solution for de scrollbar.
If not, i prob. better use a popup screen with the searchresult.
Thanks anyway

(sorry if my English is poor, but for een dutchman it isn't always easy to write correct English)
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

Hi, I did try to register but you have set a maximum character limit and I am unable to use my "me.prosenjeet" as a login name and I would rather keep that

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
www.Lucknowwebs.com
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

me.prosenjeet wrote:Hi, I did try to register but you have set a maximum character limit and I am unable to use my "me.prosenjeet" as a login name and I would rather keep that
Hi me.prosenjeet,

The maximum limit is 12 characters. Reason for this is when i eventually and hopefully add a forum that i will make soon if things go to plan i don't want the username's to be to long.

You have 13 characters that includes the dot . The reason for the username being rejected is only numbers, letters and underscores can be used. The username checker will advise whether the username is a valid one or not (meets requirements) or if it is already in use or a blocked/banned/forbidden username.

Reason why i made it like this to keep users usernames simple and not complex. Obviously yours isn't but i mean allowing extra characters such as dot etc can make usernames look crazy and somewhat confusing for people.

I will change the maximum allowed characters as i agree that looking at the length of your username it is not that long. So i will change this to 15 characters. Regarding extra characters such as a dot etc i doubt i will change this for reasons said as above.

Regards,
Mathew

UPDATE:

Usernames has now been extended to allow up to 15 characters in length.
Last edited by genieuk on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

Reason why i made it like this to keep users usernames simple and not complex. Obviously yours isn't but i mean allowing extra characters such as dot etc can make usernames look crazy and somewhat confusing for people.
But the user names are only for users and there is no reason why anyone shouldn't have crazy looking user names. In forums people do have crazy names. Forcing people to have a user name that they are not comfortable with generally results in people forgetting what user name they had used after sometime. I think this should not be limited and it should be the users choice as to what name he wants (of course you can reserve/block few user names like "admin" etc). Anyways.

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
www.Lucknowwebs.com
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

me.prosenjeet wrote:
But the user names are only for users and there is no reason why anyone shouldn't have crazy looking user names. In forums people do have crazy names. Forcing people to have a user name that they are not comfortable with generally results in people forgetting what user name they had used after sometime. I think this should not be limited and it should be the users choice as to what name he wants (of course you can reserve/block few user names like "admin" etc). Anyways.
Hi me.prosenjeet,

I get your point.

I use regex to look for an invalid pattern in the username.

I will try and get it changed within next two days. Regex is not a subject i like much lol as i find it so complex and i use Google Search to assist me with Regex patterns.

I will see what i can do and in next day or two hopefully have it working so users could use some non alphanumeric characters.

Regards,
Mathew
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Hi me.prosenjeet,

I have now updated the registration so you can now use the following characters in your username *-_.

So for new usernames, you may have between 3-15 characters in length, must begin with a letter or number and can contain *-_..

Thanks for the suggestion you made. I got your point :)

Regards,
Mathew
Last edited by genieuk on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet »

Thanks for implementing that :lol:
I will register now!!! :D

Check my WB Extensions
Check my WB Templates
www.Lucknowwebs.com
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

me.prosenjeet wrote:Thanks for implementing that :lol:
I will register now!!! :D

I got an email to notify me you signed up. :)

Regards,
Mathew
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Meets W3C Standards

Built with Extension Builder 2.0.2

Will work with without problems with latest version of web builder.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Unicode Version Now Available

Previously users who was using the unicode version was unable to use extensions. Pablo has now added extension support for web builder unicode versions.

Included in zip file.

Regards,
Mathew
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Maybe you don`t know this ,Unicode users can use the wbxconvert.exe self to convert the user extensions to the unicode version.
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Eddy wrote:Maybe you don`t know this ,Unicode users can use the wbxconvert.exe self to convert the user extensions to the unicode version.
Hi Eddy,

I did realise that before hand, but incase people started asking or did not want to do it ... i done it for them so unicode version is now in zip file all ready for them.

It was a two second job so was happy to do it. :)

Regards,
Mathew
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

Dear Mathew
i am trying to setup a Google Search. I follow all your steps from the pdf but i dont know where to find the 11th step ''11) MAKE SURE YOU SELECT 'Host results on your website:' then select 'iframe - requires two pages: one for the search box and another for the results'.''

Please i need your help
Thanks
Joe
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

I found it....
Thanks
joe
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

Hello again.
I have to use an inline frame at the WebBuilder for showing the Search Results?
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Hi,

The inline frame is implemented into the code so no need to create one in web builder.

Regards,
Mathew
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

Hello Mathew,
i have design the .search.html where i add the ''SEARCH BOX'' and the .search_results.html where i add one HTML code with the Code from Google.
When i perform a search the results appears aut of the page.

Check it out if you please at www.dskaterinis.gr/search.html

The page is under construction only the above 2 pages are there...

Thanks in advance
Joe
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Hi,

You have the Google Seach Results added 3 times hence why the layout is gone crazy.

Web Builder is a WYSIWYG editor, how you see it on your computer is how it will show online but you have added the results extension 3 times.

You just drag the Google Search Results extension only once on the page where you want the results to appear.

Minimum width needs to be 500 pixels as google has restrictions on this nothing i can do about that im afraid.

If you still have no luck all i can suggest is go in my profile add my email from profile in Windows Live Messenger, download and install team viewer and i will assist you that way remotely.

Regards,
Mathew
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

Hello again,
please take a look at the http://www.dskaterinis.gr/search_results.html
why the width is out of the page?
I set it at 580 px inside the BOX....
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

first look at the http://www.dskaterinis.gr/search.html
and perform a search.

Thanks
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

The code from Google ''Search results code''
Paste this code on http://www.dskaterinis.gr/search_results.html, where you would like your search results to appear.

<div id="cse-search-results"></div>
<script type="text/javascript">
var googleSearchIframeName = "cse-search-results";
var googleSearchFormName = "cse-search-box";
var googleSearchFrameWidth = 600;
var googleSearchDomain = "www.google.com";
var googleSearchPath = "/cse";
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/afsonline/show_af ... "></script>

i have to add a HTML box in my web page? In this code do i have to change the Width 600 > 500 ? And what about the Height?
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Hi,

You DO NOT paste any code on the page where the results will display.

The Google Search results extension already has the code to display the results.

1) When you get your search box code off google it asks you for the url of where the results will appear, as that is in the form seach box code you dont specify it again.

Example:

The search box form you have on http://www.dskaterinis.gr/search.html is set to display the results on http://www.dskaterinis.gr/search_results.html (which is correct)

Reason why is because you have specified the url in google like you should.

So your http://www.dskaterinis.gr/search.html page is correct.

Now onto the search_results.html page. Just place the Google Search Results extension on the page. There is NO need to do anything else at all, just place it on the page, you do not need to enter any code etc on the results page as the extension does this for you. Just place on page and upload. Also the minimum width is 600 pixels sorry made a typo in post above.

Regards,
Mathew
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

Dear Mathew
i ve done all this but still in the search_results.html again the page is wrong.
Check it out....
i dont understand what i do wrong
Thanks
Joe
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Ok,

We are getting there :)

Now you must understand because Google restricts the iframe to a minimum of 600 pixels in width the Google Search Results extension must also be 600 pixels in width.

You webpage is not wide enough for the search results hence why it not showing correctly, the 600 pixel width is needed just for the search results to appear, althou your page is wider than 600 pixels the content area where the Google Search Results extension is placed is not 600 pixels.

Take a look at the image below for explanation. The blue border around the Google Search Result extension has a blue border around it to show you the 600 pixel width of the Google Search Result extension (iframe).

Regards,
Mathew
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

You re the best my friend.
I will change the width of the page.
I hope it works
thanks
Joe
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

OK my friend it works but i have to change the width of my page.
Thanks again
Joe
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

stamjoe wrote:You re the best my friend.
I will change the width of the page.
I hope it works
thanks
Joe
Sadly it's a limitation Google has done. On my website as it is dynamic i can override Googles own code with a tiny bit of css so things auto adjust but webpages in web builder are not dynamic so it would not work, hence the only down side is the area where results show has to be 600 pixels wide.

I did say to someone else a week ago or so i will change the documentation to see if i can explain it more easily.

I forgot about it so in the next day or so i will update manual to try and be more easy to understand.

Regards,
Mathew
stamjoe

Post by stamjoe »

Good thinking
Keep up the good work.

Joe
genieuk

Re: Google Site Search Results On Your Webpage Unicode Avail

Post by genieuk »

ddlg2007 wrote:Is possible use the search without buton? I wanna use it alone, without button.
Hi,

You just need to delete the following line that appears in the code that Google gives you:

<input type="submit" name="sa" value="Search" />
code may differ slightly but you will tell as the input type will be submit, obviously this will mean users will have to hit enter on the keyboard.

Regards,
Mathew