Google Site Search Results On Your Webpage Unicode Available

In this section you can share self-made extensions with other users of WYSIWYG Web Builder.

There are already more than 250 extensions available!
genieuk

Google Site Search Results On Your Webpage Unicode Available

Post by genieuk » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:22 pm

Hello,

This is my first ever extension.

Basically this extension will allow you to have google search results appear on your own webpage. Meaning people won't be taken actually to google when searching your site, they stay within your site when searching. Great to keep within your site theme/layout etc.

Suprisingly, majority of the things you need to do is done via your google custom site search account.

IMPORTANT: I cannot express this enough. You need to read the pdf read me guide as nothing will work. Included in zip file.

9/11/2010 - ** Latest Update **
Rebuilt with EB 2.5.2 to to work with WB7

UPDATE: 30/11/2009

This update is minor and is not needed for users who are happy with the extension as it is.

You can now make the search box lower than the recommended width.

Minimum Recommended width is: 290
Minimum Recommended height is: 35

You can now alter width/height as you want.

Search Box code no longer needs to be edited in notepad first and put on one line. Multi-line support added so just copy and paste code from Google without the need to put on one line in notepad.

-----------------------------------------------------

Download from my site:
http://www.genieuk.com/webbuilder/downl ... search.php

DEMO:

To see a demo go to my site: http://www.genieuk.com on the top right hand corner of homepage you will see my search box, enter some keywords and see how the results display on your webpage, Make your site look more professional and incorporate into your own site theme/layout.

Hope you enjoy! Please leave your comments, feeback etc.

Your site needs to be indexed by google, i recommend submitting a sitemap to google. You can do this via Google Webmaster tools.

Search Box:

Search Results Shows On Your Own Pages:

Last edited by genieuk on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.

me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Please check, Google Site Search - Results Appear On Your Own Webpage demo on this page http://www.wbtutorials.co.cc/demos/demos.php not working
Click here to check my Pro WB Extensions
Click here to check my Pro WB Templates
---------------------------------------------------------
www.Lucknowwebs.com

neo_webbuilder

Post by neo_webbuilder » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:14 pm

Yep demo is not working !!! and the result is displaying a white box bigger than the former page.

I like the idear. Nice work !!!
Last edited by neo_webbuilder on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genieuk

Post by genieuk » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi,

I have not finished the demo yet, that why it wont work.

In the mean time to see a demo of it on the homepage www.wbtutorials.co.cc/index.html top right hand corner is a search box type some text and and hit enter or press search button, then results will show on your own webpage.

Also the reason for white box being bigger is because i have not yet finished my site theme, everything as it is, is normal dont worry, it just the theme i am using on the search result page i need to make it wider. Reason why in red text on search result page i have currently put: PLEASE NOTE: THIS PAGE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION SO LAYOUT WILL APPEAR INCORRECTLY AND NO RESULTS WILL DISPLAY

until i sort it, the extension is fine thou, it just me needing to do some things on my site.

Regards,
Mathew

genieuk

Post by genieuk » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Search Demo now sorted!

zinc

Post by zinc » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:11 pm

genieuk wrote:Search Demo now sorted!
Can you explain one thing to me?

If I type templates on your site, it returns nothing. Is that right?

genieuk

Post by genieuk » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi,

Yes i can explain this, first this is not an extension problem.

I am using a free hosting for my site, now for some reason i am having problem with google saying my robots.txt file is blocking my sitemap.xml, even thou it is not.

So at the moment i cannot submit my sitemap to google.

Also as my website is only 2 days old it can take days, weeks, months for my site to be indexed by google.

The reason why it showing no results, is my site has not yet be indexed by google.

Regards,
Mathew

zinc

Post by zinc » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:17 pm

genieuk wrote:Hi,

Yes i can explain this, first this is not an extension problem.

I am using a free hosting for my site, now for some reason i am having problem with google saying my robots.txt file is blocking my sitemap.xml, even thou it is not.

So at the moment i cannot submit my sitemap to google.

Also as my website is only 2 days old it can take days, weeks, months for my site to be indexed by google.

The reason why it showing no results, is my site has not yet be indexed by google.

Regards,
Mathew
Good enough for me :lol:

Cracking piece of work! Very useful. Well done!!!!!

me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi,
Sorry to post this but the google custom search on your site doesn't seem to work. I searched for the terms --
'google', 'download','Extensions','Demos','Templates' etc. but it showed 'not found'! However, these words are there on your site. Please check
www.Lucknowwebs.com

genieuk

Post by genieuk » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi,

Reason why is i have a robots.txt file to block access to all search engines so they cannot index my site.

Reason i done this is i need to create a rather lenghtly robots.txt file to deny robots access to some directories and webpages.

So until i do that i have refused them all access.

Hope this explains it for you.

Mathew

me.prosenjeet

Post by me.prosenjeet » Fri May 22, 2009 4:56 am

You have also kept the Max width of the extension too big because of which If someone wants to place the search box on the right side of page(example width 900) the extension leads out of the page causing horizontal scroll.
See the screen shot below:

This is the webbuilder screen shot where the search box needs to be placed and to get the box in correct place the extension is going out of the page...:

Now because this extension is going out(as in above pic), there is horizontal scroll in the live site:

How about making the width 50 so we may drag as much as we want as the box lenght of google can be changed by editing this line in the code :
<input type="text" name="q" size="31" />
Lastly, can you please mail me the project files of both the google search(form and result) extension. If not both but at least the form one. Please
www.Lucknowwebs.com

genieuk

Post by genieuk » Fri May 22, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi,

The reason why i done it like that was because if you make it any smaller the button ends up going on a new line. Althou as you know and me to that you can change it in the code to.

I tried this previously.

But ok no problem.

What i will do later today is update it as requested.

Regards,
Mathew

hendrikjd

Post by hendrikjd » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:18 pm

At first: thanks for sharing this nice extension.

I have a question: You placed the results on your page in, i think, a InlineFrame. I try to do so, but the result was an empty inline frame on my result page. (When i place the resultbox on a normale page, the result was a very large field, totally outside the pageframe.

So my question: how did you place your result so, that it exactly show only a frame on your page?

genieuk

Post by genieuk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:37 pm

hendrikjd wrote:At first: thanks for sharing this nice extension.

I have a question: You placed the results on your page in, i think, a InlineFrame. I try to do so, but the result was an empty inline frame on my result page. (When i place the resultbox on a normale page, the result was a very large field, totally outside the pageframe.

So my question: how did you place your result so, that it exactly show only a frame on your page?
Hi,

Basically your web-page that displays the results must be at least 500 pixels in width. Google does not allow any smaller width even by changing the width in the code.

The only way i got around this was by searching online and to force the results using css to the width i specify.

The CSS code i used is as follows:

You will need to adjust the width percentage to suit your site. Basically the simple css code below will force the results to display at the width you specify.

Code: Select all

<style>
#cse-search-results {width: 95%; }
</style>
Then you would add the below class to the Google div:

class="cse-search-results"
Once done the div would look like:

<div class="cse-search-results" id="cse-search-results"></div>
Regards,
Mathew

hendrikjd

Post by hendrikjd » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks for your answere, but i'm a noob about some stuff.

Should the code:

<style>
#cse-search-results {width: 95%; }
</style>

be part of te Search box or the result box?

And how about the code:

<div class="cse-search-results" id="cse-search-results"></div>

On http://home.online.nl/hvdmunnik i placed for test at the homepage a searchbox. The result was placed at page "Resultaat.html"