Will Webshop 3.2 work OK with responsive sites ?

This forum is dedicated to discussions about shopping carts/ecommerce.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
HORIZON

Will Webshop 3.2 work OK with responsive sites ?

Post by HORIZON » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:59 pm

I have a site built with Web Builder 9 and George's excellent Webshop 3.2 application. Currently works fine and has taken a few small orders. As many users are now accessing the web using mobile devices, I feel now is the time to develop this as a responsive site, using the latest version of Web Builder (10).

Quick question. Am i right in presuming that Webshop 3.2 still works with the latest version of Web Builder (10) and that with a little work I will be able to build a responsive web site using Webshop with no real problems?

Thanks...

HORIZON

Re: Will Webshop 3.2 work OK with responsive sites ?

Post by HORIZON » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Well I am going to be answering my own thread here, but having experimented today converting my own ecommerce site to utilise responsive templates, Webshop 3.2 does in fact work, albeit with quite a bit of tinkering to get it to fit properly into the screen size breakpoints.

From a practical perspective and this would apply to all responsive types of ecommerce site, irrespective of whatever type of shop software they use, real consideration needs to be given to minimizing the number of elements on the smaller 320pix breakpoints as mobile phones can be notoriously slow at loading up feature laden websites. My 320pix breakpoint display is far less elegant than my full sized layout, but it is better for the smaller display to be simpler rather than have customers abandon a slow loading site.

Another practical consideration I have found is text entry, which can be quite laborious if you are typing in your full delivery address etc on a phone's touch screen. For some sites, something like the Nopcart extension that goes straight to the payment processor is certainly something to consider. Am sure that Pablo will one day upgrade that to the far better Nopercart as suggested elsewhere on this forum. :wink: