Paypal button needs "qualifier"

This forum is dedicated to discussions about shopping carts/ecommerce.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
LoneWolf1038

Paypal button needs "qualifier"

Post by LoneWolf1038 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi!
I have a website that sells items that can either be plain or personalized. Because I am not sure how else to do it, I have set up 2 "add to cart" buttons...one for NO NAME and the other for Personalized (one is $3 more). Under the personalized one, I have an editbox where they type the name in they want the item personalized with. I have used that box as an "option" on the paypal button...so when it goes to the invoice, the name they entered is there. Problem is....sometimes they forget to put the name they want in the box, and when they hit the button, it still goes to Paypal....but with no name.

Is there a way to make it so they can not click on that Paypal "Add to cart" button until they enter a name in the editbox?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pablo

Re: Paypal button needs "qualifier"

Post by Pablo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:32 pm

There is a way to do this but you cannot use the standard PayPal buttons for that:
1) Use the form wizard
2) Select 'PayPal - Add to cart with option'
3) Now you can use the 'Validate' option of the input field. Simply enable 'data required'

Note that now you have a standard form so you will have to change the hidden fields of the form to set the PayPal parameters.

LoneWolf1038

Post by LoneWolf1038 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:32 pm

Thank you for the fast reply.

I have added the form like you suggested, and changed the item description, etc in the hidden fields, however, when I go to preview, it will not take me to paypal. What did I do or not do? Also, I have a custom "add to cart" button I'd like to use in place of the one in form, but I don't see a place to upload the button file.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that tells and explains what I need to change to get this to work properly?

Thanks.

LoneWolf1038

Post by LoneWolf1038 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:43 pm

I have found out that when data is typed in the editbox of the form and enter it hit, it goes to paypal.....but the "add to cart" button does not work at all?

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:13 pm

What is the URL of the page so we can see what you have done?
The button in the standard form can be fully customized with the style options.

Note that the solution that I gave you is for advanced users. You need more knowledge ab5out PayPal then if you use the standard buttons.

LoneWolf1038

Post by LoneWolf1038 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Here's the URL

http://countrycricut.com/beermugs.html

I have it so that if you don't type any data into the name requested box, you can not submit it to paypal. I need the name they want personalized....however, once they type the name in and it DOES go to paypal, I do not see the name they typed in it.

As you can see, I have little crickets pushing a shopping cart in the ones with no names......but I would like to use the same picture for the two you are helping me with.

Thank you.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:32 pm

You can use the background image option (in Style properties) of the button to change the appearance of the standard 'add to cart' button.

LoneWolf1038

Post by LoneWolf1038 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Right......I understand about changing it in styles, but you said I can not use the "standard" one for what I need to do.

If you go to the page I mentioned, you will see edit boxes there. This is for the customer to put the name in that they want put on the mug. When I get the Paypal notification, it SHOULD have the item....AND the name they want on the mug......and it does not. How can I please fix this?

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Did you use the template I referred you to (the one with the options)?

1) Please start over. Remove all PayPal buttons and forms to prevent confusion. Start just with one button.
2) Use the form wizard. Select 'PayPal - Add to cart with option'
3) Do not remove anything or change any of the default settings unless you know what you are doing.
Only change the business, item_name, item_number, return, shopping_url and amount
It's very important that the names of the variables on0 and on1 are the same as the input fields! If you remove any of these fields then you should also modify your form!

Please understand that the PayPal buttons are functionality provided by PayPal. We have implement all the standard options in the buttons. if you want more advanced functionality , like in your case the validation then you will have to dig deeper and use standard form (which are fully customizable). Note that you cannot just remove items, then it will no longer work.

WB10user

Post by WB10user » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:55 am

If you want to add a discount to certain items or half special offers e.g. buy two and get third half price, can you do this with the PayPal add to cart option? Do you enter a code where it says 'option 1', 'option 2' etc. In order to implement the special offer or discount?

Thanks.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:04 pm

I have never used this myself, but you can take a look at the discount variables of the PayPal buttons:
https://developer.paypal.com/docs/class ... variables/

WB10user

Post by WB10user » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks for the swift reply Pablo. I appreciate it. I am not much of a coder so I may have trouble entering the codes shown but I am willing to give it a shot. Thank you again.

Would it be easier for me to implement discounts etc through the Webshop or NOP shopping cart extensions?

Thanks.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:32 pm

You can add custom PayPal variables in 'Extra Variables' of the button's properties.
There is no need to write any code.
However it may take some time to finds the right values (even if I had to do it may take a couple of hours).

The webshop extensions does not support discounts.

WB10user

Post by WB10user » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:31 pm

I found this video on YouTube which might be a help to other users https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VIGdfsxA3fM. It shows you how to add a discount in the variables. I know that he does this through the PayPal site but It will give users an idea on how to implement it in WWB11. I will try it myself and might do a tutorial in the Codes, Tricks section if it works for me.

Thanks.