Receiving Payments...

This forum is dedicated to discussions about shopping carts/ecommerce.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
etcbbu

Receiving Payments...

Post by etcbbu »

Hey, for the developers on these forums that have developed a payment process through the website(s) you create, what method do you use to do this? I am talking for a page-by-page process where customers fill in information, and supply a credit card/ or PayPal account in the process, then when finishing or clicking "submit", the credit card payment actually goes through. What do y'all use for something like that?

And, for those that set up online stores for your clients, what method do you use to do this?

Thanks for any insights anyone can share.

--etcbbu
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Hi,

To process a payment in the way you want you will need a fully pledged payment soution, this also means you need to speak to your bank so payments can be processed and funds put straight into the account, i have never done this but i guess you would need a business account and some sort of package for this. This is certainly not cheap and for smaller businesses etc there will be credit/debit card fees involved and probably other fees, hence why people use a third party merchant like PayPal, Google Checkout etc to simplify the process and save people money, althou you have to consider for example paypal fees.

Regards,
Mathew
etcbbu

Post by etcbbu »

Ok, that makes sense. I'm really liking PayPal, so I'd just as soon use that, personally.

I have not looked into Google Checkout, but I will soon.

My only thought is, I'm going to have some clients for whom I build a website, and that they're gonna say, "Hey, ok so we're gonna sell some stuff on our website--make us a form and a process and make it happen." And I guess I suppose my first step is to see if they would LIKE to use PayPal. If they refuse, and want to use only a regular checking account, I guess my option would be, like you said, to verify they HAVE a business checking account, I can set them up a "fully pledged payment solution". Would this be an example of that: http://www.authorize.net/ ?
genieuk

Post by genieuk »

Hi,

By a fully pledged payment system i mean a developer making an entire payment/checkout system to suit your needs, probably cost thousands i should imagine.

All you need to do is state to your clients or somewhere on your website that you can add paypal checkout system, that way you can use the one built into web builder or naval designs shopping cart.

Naval Designs shopping cart extension will come with an admin backend so your clients can configure things to there own liking.

I would keep things as simple as possible. Maybe others who build websites for a living can suggest what they use and could offer you better advice as i don't build websites for a living i just develop freely in my own time like extensions for web builder and develop my own site.

Regards,
Mathew
Fueler

Post by Fueler »

If the client to be already takes credit cards in house and is comfortable with that there is no need to upset their way of life.
What I use for this situation myself is http://www.americart.com
They pretty much have all the possible variations covered.

You could run through a fake purchase on my site to see how it works.
Just don't hit that final submit button!

edit: FWIW, I have been considering having PayPal handle it all. What with the increase in service charges, etc it looks like I wouldn't make matters worse financially and have it all in one place. I just don't know if I would turn away potential customers if I only showed the paypal deal.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Master Software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
etcbbu

Post by etcbbu »

genieuk:

1) Thanks! I am going to be checking out the whole PayPal-and-Naval Designs-shopping-cart-extension solution~

Fueler:

1) Wow, this is what you're talking about right: http://www.cartserver.com/sc/cart.cgi ? I really like that--that'd be perfect for me to set up for a client that wanted something like that--there's even the OPTION that users can use either PayPal or a credit card. I'm assuming you have some sort of business checking account, so that whenever users who use that process to buy from you, when they enter THEIR credit card/checking account number, it pays you automatically? Was that just something you set up to do, when you bought your Americart package? I guess what I can do is just tell my clients, "Hey, if you wanna do that, that's cool, but here's the pricing for it <insert pricing table Americart has at http://www.americart.com/pricing.php>.", and ask them if they are willing to pay that price, monthly or whatnot.

2) Yeah, see, that is my reservation with going with PayPal-only, too. There are certainly plenty of businesses around my area that DO use PayPal a lot, but my fear is there are others who are totally clueless or don't trust it, and would just rather stick with credit card--so I'd hate to just be slamming the door on them. I guess it's just a trade-off I'll have to learn with time and experience.
Fueler

Post by Fueler »

You are reading too much into this.
Nothing is automatic concerning the CC. For that you need a whiz-bang deal and another middleman. That is a whole nother nightmare.

for the client that already takes credit cards.
Customer buys parts, submits order.
It goes to Americart.
Americart handles the security of the sale.
Americart sends you the info via email. CC numbers are encrypted.
You fill out your normal paperwork, input the card numbers through your CC machine, pack and ship item.
Whatever you or the client have in place for cc sales does not change.

FWIW. Paypal handles the credit cards also. It's just a question of will the potential customer accept it?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Master Software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
gofrank

Post by gofrank »

In order to develop such a system (short of PayPal or other third-party "clearinghouse") you will need the following:
  • A merchant account
  • Considerable knowledge of PHP
  • Experience with MySQL or comparable database
  • A secure server
  • An SSL certificate
  • A dedicated IP address
  • A web host with PHP/CURL installed
  • At least minimal programming experience (more experience = better)
And that is just the beginning.

I've used WB to develop such a system and it worked well. Getting "over the hump" in understanding the steps required to communicate with the merchant account and receive the proper authorization codes took a bit of time (several days). This is not something you would approach lightly.

You also have to concern yourself with extensive pre-screening of the purchaser's data (eliminating errors such as improper credit card dates, incomplete information, etc.). Some merchant accounts enact a surcharge if the information you submit is obviously in error (e.g.: a credit card with an expiration date of 12/2008).

Then, there are error pages to deal with situations where the credit card is rejected for whatever reason, guiding the purchaser to resubmit his information, etc.

All in all, a small nightmare.

If you can find a third-party turnkey system that works (such as the one described by Fueler), that would be the fastest way to go. Perhaps not as "slick" as doing everything electronically, but certainly less stressful.
Billing clients for your freelance work? Try Minute-2-Minute, the project management, timing, and billing system. Perfect for web developers who charge by the hour. FREE 45-day trial.
Navaldesign

Post by Navaldesign »

If I may allow my self, the requirements of the CC companies for compliancy with their security standards, are getting always harder and harder to fullfill.

Security issues is the main reason for this.

However, I can suggest that instead of collecting cc details on your site and going through the whole way, you simply redirect your user to the payment gateway for the final payment. This is what PayPal can do, and Authorize.net (through the Simple Integration Method).
No need for SSL, dedicated IP address, or any special security measures, as you do NOT need to collect the cc details on your site.

In that case, with a minimum of php / html experiense, you can integrate the code the these gateways provide ready to use, in a couple of hours (each). Modifying the cart so it allows payment type selection, and also setting the properties, through a user friendly Administration interface, might also require quite some work.
www.dbtechnosystems.com
etcbbu

Post by etcbbu »

How about http://www.vstore.ca/? Anyone use them? They seem to work well. I've made a test store with them before, but haven't tried actually selling anything for real yet. Anyone else?

--etcbbu