How to quickly add forms to your web site

Do you want to share WYSIWYG Web Builder tips, tricks, tutorials or useful HTML code? You can post it here...
(no questions or problems please, this section is not monitored by support).
Forum rules
This section is to share tips, tricks and tutorials related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Please do not post questions or problems here. They will not be answered.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
alan_sh

How to quickly add forms to your web site

Post by alan_sh »

So, you want to put a form on your web page. It could be a Contact Me form, it could be a request for information form – or something more complex. WYSIWYG (WWB) can do it all for you, but there’s a price to pay. You need to set up some form of database on your server and the web page itself may have to be PHP (so you need to ensure your server supports that).

For me, this was a step too far. I wanted something quick and easy to use that I could embed in my web page, but didn’t take a lot of “effort” to set up and test. So, I looked around and found Cognito Forms. (www.cognitoforms.com). This product is very powerful, has really good support and, for what you probably need it for, is free.

This discussion is how I set things up for inclusion into WWB.

First off, you need to create a login. This is free and is your link in to creating a new form. Click on ‘Sign up’ at the top right of the home page, then click on “Sign up with Email” and follow the instructions. It doesn’t take long. Once done, log in with your name and password.

This discussion is not a tutorial on how to create a form – there are plenty there starting at https://www.cognitoforms.com/support - so get playing.

Once you have your form created and have tested it out, what you need to do is embed it in your site. This is easy.
  • In your new form, click on ‘Publish’ at the top, then on the left hand side of the page, where it says ‘Embed in your site’, click on ‘iframe’ and then copy the code inside the white box (just click on it and it gets copied).
  • In your web page, add an HTML box (toolbox -> Standard -> HTML). Double click the box, enter some text in the ‘description’ field which describes what your form is for, and then paste the contents of the clipboard into the html field.
That’s it. Save and test it.

Advantages:
  • You can modify the form without having to re-upload your web page.
  • You are not beholden to anything on YOUR server (or ISP)
  • Has really good support
  • Has great tutorials
  • Is very easy to set up.
  • Uses it’s own email servers to send mails out but can allow the recipient to think it was you (thus replies go to the correct place.
  • Has built in reCapture.
Disadvantages
  • It’s another third party you have to negotiate with.
WWBman

Re: How to quickly add forms to your web site

Post by WWBman »

alan_sh wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:37 pm ... WYSIWYG (WWB) can do it all for you, but there’s a price to pay. You need to set up some form of database on your server and the web page itself may have to be PHP (so you need to ensure your server supports that).

For me, this was a step too far. ...
Sorry, but I can't agree with you there.
A database is not mandatory, it depends on what you want to do.
Most, if not all, servers support PHP so that isn't an issue.
I know that this isn't a thread for discussion but I couldn't leave it there.
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

A lot of the issues I have seen here have been to do with logging on, PHP and database stuff.

I do accept that setting up a basic form can be easy, but anything vaguely complex takes a lot of time and experience. My alternative suggestion is just that - a suggestion, but one that works well for me.

If people want to try it out, I am happy to help.If you want to carry on using the WWB option, then that is great - and justifies Pablo's hard work.

Alan
zinc

Post by zinc »

Alan;

What's wrong with WWB's own built-in form? You have all need at your disposal. Am I missing something here?

Z
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
alan_sh

Post by alan_sh »

I just found it easier to create and modify the forms using Cognitoforms - so I thought I'd let others know.

I didn't realise it would cause such a fuss.

Alan
zinc

Post by zinc »

alan_sh wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:00 pm I just found it easier to create and modify the forms using Cognitoforms - so I thought I'd let others know.

I didn't realise it would cause such a fuss.

Alan
It did not cause a fuss. At the end of the day you can use what you like, I was just curious... :?
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
NDV

Post by NDV »

The WYSIWYG Web Builder has good powerful functionality for working with forms. To create a form, you do not need knowledge of php.
I see no reason to use intermediaries and third-party services.
https://t.me/webart42
I offer my services for website development in WYSIWYG Web Builder, HTML/CSS/JQuery.
Contact us on telegram @webart42