Thoughts behind Responsive Design

Do you want to share WYSIWYG Web Builder tips, tricks, tutorials or useful HTML code? You can post it here...
(no questions or problems please, this section is not monitored by support).
Forum rules
This section is to share tips, tricks and tutorials related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Please do not post questions or problems here. They will not be answered.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
zinc

Thoughts behind Responsive Design

Post by zinc »

Since the introduction of RWD by Ethan Marcotte, things have changed a lot and with it WWB and in its 10th iteration Pablo has created a "Mashup" if you like of both worlds. Who said RWD & WYSIWYG could not co-exist? Well has has proved to all of us that it is possible. However this is not all down to the software. It is about good thinking and understanding what works on a desktop and what works on a mobile. I am at the beginning of this road and have learnt a great deal from Pablo and the rest of you PRO out there.

- When designing a RWD site you must think of a design that would work both on desktop & mobile.
When using a layer, just because you resize to a mobile size of let's say 320, does not mean it is going to work on the mobile. Ironically Chrome for example on iOS is a different beast all together than say on the desktop. This is something that [RZ] & and myself have worked hard to test and learn to a point where it would take a whole day to get something working on iOS.

- Use the right kind of navigation. Don't just put a burger menu just because it is trendy. Think and see, maybe the CSS menu would suffice. Sometimes the client wants you to use different menus because they have seen a site that they really like and wan to copy it.

- Google Maps - Experience has showed me that while the google maps is responsive, sometimes, it is best to use an static image of the map in the mobile version with a link that would take the user to Google maps app. This way the user does not get stuck halfway through your site trying to scroll up to see the rest.

- Break Points - Something that Pablo has thought me and it really works is choosing the right break points. For months I used to badger him about mobile phone in landscape mode and finally he gave me some points that really work, however this is also down to your design. If you know me, most my work is based on layers.

So you default should 980, 768, 580, 480, 320

I woulds add 1024 as well for larger monitors: 1024, 980, 768, 580, 480, 320

580 is for iPhone 6 in landscape mode and 480 is for iPhone 5 landscape mode. Although not many people would view sites like that but you want to be sure to cover all eventualities. Version 10.4 remembers these which is handy for your next project.

- Use larger images and resize them via WWB or (in the case of RZ's they have an option to define a size). The retina display on iOS devices are unforgiving and your images will be pixelated. So if you are adding a FaceBook icon for example that is physically 50x50, make the image 150x150 but resize it in WWB to your intended site. This way the iOS will show it crispy and clear.

- If you want to add telephone numbers, make the live links in your mobile site thus enabling the user to get in touch from the website rather than remembering the number and call later. These are little but important touches.

I hope I have not bored you, just sharing what I do almost on daily basis and GOOD LUCK! :D
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
andyp

Re: Thoughts behind Responsive Design

Post by andyp »

There are some good insights there.. and certainly did not bore me :)

The only point that I think will always be questionable is the matter of break point sizes... but I am very open minded about this as I am very new to RWD.

The two sites so far that I have converted to RWD have the BP's Default at 1360 1280 1024 800 600 480 360 and 320 which I consider has covered high percentage of devices.. although it is quite laborious having to adapt all BP ranges.

If I was confident that I could get away with less then I would happily do so :)
Making mistakes....and still learning as I go along.. and very grateful to those who know far more than me... :)
http://www.apgraphx.co.uk
zinc

Post by zinc »

@Andyp - The good thing is there is no limit. So whatever works for you. :D
Running WYSIWYG Web Builder since 2007...
andyp

Post by andyp »

Sure... but it would be really good if there was a strict rule that ultimately defines the law :mrgreen:
Making mistakes....and still learning as I go along.. and very grateful to those who know far more than me... :)
http://www.apgraphx.co.uk
clarkhowell

Post by clarkhowell »

You mentioned adding telephone numbers, and making them "live links" in a mobile site. How would one DO this? Is there a tutorial somewhere?