Its running on Linux (Ubuntu).

Do you want to share WYSIWYG Web Builder tips, tricks, tutorials or useful HTML code? You can post it here...
(no questions or problems please, this section is not monitored by support).
Forum rules
This section is to share tips, tricks and tutorials related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Please do not post questions or problems here. They will not be answered.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
rskog

Its running on Linux (Ubuntu).

Post by rskog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:39 am

I finally managed to run Web Builder 8 on Linux (Ubuntu) using Wine 1.5.0 and Winetricks. It runs very well and most functions seems to work perfect. However, there are a few bugs, most notably that text boxes do not work correctly.

Have you considered working with CodeWeavers in order to port your application to Linux and Mac? See: http://www.codeweavers.com/services/

I'm aware of your Mac/Linux project at "http://www.quickandeasywebbuilder.com/". However this version lacks a lot of features and more importantly sites made with WebBuilder can not be opened and edited in the Mac/Linux version.

Seeing how well Web Builder now runs on my Linux PC I'm confident that it is possible to port it to Linux with very few (if any) changes to the source code.

Pablo

Re: Its running on Linux (Ubuntu).

Post by Pablo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 am

Please note that these are not bugs in the software, but bugs in Wine. There is nothing we can do about that.
There will be no port to Linux of WYSIWYG Web Builder because it simply cannot be done. That 's is whole reason why Quick 'n Easy Web Builder project was created.

rskog

Post by rskog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:23 am

Thank you for a quick response :)

I'm looking forward to following your work with the Linux version at quickandeasywebbuilder.com and seeing more features added. I really like what you have done so far, but an option to import and edit existing sites is really needed. Redesigning everything from scratch is not an option.

In the mean time Ill continue to tweak Wine settings and see if I can get everything working. Impossible only means that nobody have found the solution yet :)

rskog

Post by rskog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Update: I have now found a workaround for the bugs in Wine mentioned above. WYSIWYG Web Builder is now running on my Linux system and is apparently working perfect with no bugs at all on Ubuntu Linux through Wine.

I will do some further testing and post a guide on how to run WYSIWYG Web Builder on Linux if no more errors are found.

rskog

Post by rskog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:12 pm

I have spent some time testing today and can not find any significant bugs in WYSIWYG Web Builder running on Ubuntu Linux through Wine. The only feature not working is "TextArt". Everything else works perfectly.

Here is how to get he full version of WYSIWYG Web Builder running on Linux:

1.) Download and install the latest version of PlayOnLinux from http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html. This free software makes installing Windows applications on Linux through Wine much easier. (Crossover from CodeWeavers will probably also work, but I haven't tested this).

2.) In PlayOnLinux click install, then click "install a non-listed program".

3.) Choose to install the program in a new virtual drive (installing each windows application in a new drive or bottle makes it possible to tweak settings for this application without affecting other software). Name the virtual drive WebBuilder8.

4.) Check the check-boxes for "Use another version of Wine", "Configure Wine" and "Install some libraries".

5.) Use Wine version 1.5.0.

6.) Set Windows version to Windows XP. (Win 7 will probably also work).

7.) Check the check-boxes for installing the following libraries through Winetricks:

corefonts
dotnet40
gdiplus
gecko
mfc42
msls31
riched30

8.) Select the installer for WYSIWYG Web Builder and install the application just as you would do in windows.

9.) Add a shortcut to WYSIWYG Web Builder.

10.) After completing the installation, go to the "configure" menu in PlayOnLinux. Click on the virtual drive named "WebBuilder8". Go to the "Wine" tab and to "Configure Wine". Select the "Libaries" tab. Add msftedit.dll. Click on the msftedit.dll listing and change it to native (Windows).

Enjoy WYSIWYG Web Builder on Linux!

MINOR BUGS UNDER LINUX AND HOW TO SOLVE THEM:

1.) When dragging a element from the toolbox and placing it in the edit window, you will sometimes need to press the Shift button on your keyboard in order to release and place the element in the edit window.

2.) When publishing a text box as image only JPG format seems to be working.

3.) When saving your site for the first time in *.WBS format you need to type the full filename (including WBS): "nameofmysite.WBS" otherwise it will save with no file extension.

rskog

Post by rskog » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:15 pm

If anyone else would like to help running WYSIWYG Web Builder 8 under Linux, please report bugs and solutions here:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=25677

UNSOLVED BUGS:

1.) Fonts are sometimes listed several times in the dropdown boxes. Cosmetic issue, fonts still work.
2.) Some exensions are not working
3.) TextArt is not working.
Last edited by rskog on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks!

I will move your post to the tips and tricks section of the forum.

askwara

Post by askwara » Sat May 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Thank you rskog for great job!
I finally am able to run WWB on Ubuntu! :D
The olny issue I have is I cannot write polish language characters in text area - I did all proper encoding, like on Windows wersion, my keybord is configurated polish, it just doesnt work on WWB Playonlinux.
Is it some Wine confoguration issue?
Would you have any ideas?
Many thanks!
Alex
www.thaiyoga.biz

bry

Post by bry » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:35 pm

Following these directions, I get the error - Framework 4.0 might fail to install. Using Wine 1.5.1, PlayonLinux with Ubuntu 12.04

Any thoughts??

However, I am installing WB8.21 right now.

The program crashed.

bry

Post by bry » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Fresh-WebIT wrote:I have Ubuntu 12.04. After installing wine and winetricks I installed under winetricks the Windows DLL vcrun6sp6.
Now it runs perfect.
Did you install vcrun6 through the winetricks library?? I don't see sp6. How did you get that exactly?

thanks

askwara

Post by askwara » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Worked perfectly on Lucid but same problem as Ef on Ubuntu Natty - text becomes invisible after clicking out of the text area...
Something to do with graphic card maybe?
I hope Rskog will provide some magic here...
Thanks!
www.thaiyoga.biz

bry

Post by bry » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:36 am

bry wrote:
Fresh-WebIT wrote:I have Ubuntu 12.04. After installing wine and winetricks I installed under winetricks the Windows DLL vcrun6sp6.
Now it runs perfect.
Did you install vcrun6 through the winetricks library?? I don't see sp6. How did you get that exactly?

thanks
It would be great to get some help on this. I would love to switch WB8 over to Ubuntu.

thanks

askwara

Post by askwara » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:42 am

bry wrote:
bry wrote:
Now it runs perfect.

thanks
It would be great to get some help on this. I would love to switch WB8 over to Ubuntu.

thanks
Hi,
just type in terminal: winetricks vcrun6sp6
but in my case it doesn't help, even if vcrun6sp6 is already installed! :-/
Good luck!
www.thaiyoga.biz

bry

Post by bry » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks, that said it was updating, then a screen from c\net appeared for downloading Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6, Visual C++ 6 with Visual Source Safe 6.0d

It is 60.8 MB and I clicked OK but it gave me an error - Archive: /tmp/Vs6sp6.exe
[/tmp/Vs6sp6.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either .... cannot find zipfile directory....

So I downloaded the file instead of trying to run it from microsoft. trying again and will let you know

bry

Post by bry » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Downloading from Microsoft appeared to work. But when I doubleclick the WB8 icon on desktop, nothing happens.

I will work on it this afternoon.

Thanks again!!