The Password Was Not Allowed FTP (error: 12014 )

Do you want to share WYSIWYG Web Builder tips, tricks, tutorials or useful HTML code? You can post it here...
(no questions or problems please, this section is not monitored by support).
Forum rules
This section is to share tips, tricks and tutorials related to WYSIWYG Web Builder.
Please do not post questions or problems here. They will not be answered.

PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901
genieuk

The Password Was Not Allowed FTP (error: 12014 )

Post by genieuk »

Hi,

I noticed some people has posted about an error like something below:

WININET returned error: 12014: The password was not allowed.

I decided to post this as some hosts has changed the ftp on the servers to make the ftp more secure.

I got this error today when trying to access my site then on quick inspection i realised and remembered seeing a new ftp setting in my cpanel.

If you get the error above or similar when trying to upload or explore your server directory then try the below: using web builder ftp or any other kind of ftp software

1 ) Login to your server (host) control panel.

2 ) Look for something like the picture below:

As you can see this allows you to unlock your ftp account so it can be used for example 1 hour, 4 hours, 1 day, 7 days. 28 days.

By default some hosts are now automatically locking ftp accounts which will require you to unlock your ftp account so you can use it for any of the set periods as shown in image and as stated above.

So let say i want to use my ftp account to upload my web builder website then i would simply click for example 1 hour or 28 days whichever you want and click the Unlock by Time button, this will then unlock the ftp account for that set period so it can be used. Obviously you would choose the period of time that suits you, for example if you will be uploading most part of a day etc then it would make sence to choose 1 day.

You can also unlcok by IP but the above works fine.

If you don't have anything like that in you cpanel :

1) Ask your host has anything changed like new security measures etc

2) Make sure you are using a password that is allowed by the server, this is unlikely to be the problem as most check the password you enter to see if it passes any validation that maybe be required by the server.

3) Some hosts specially free hosts will change the ftp password every so often so check to make sure it was not changed by the host automatically.

4) Double check your ftp details and make sure if you did not use caps lock make sure it is off and vice vera.

So hopefully this will help some people who may get this problem.

Personally i like this new touch some hosts have added as an extra security measure, it gives some more control over the ftp to althou it can also be somewhat annoying but with the 28 day option it not to bad. OBviously yours may differ somewhat in your cpanel.

Personally i don't need it as i can have multiple ftp accounts all using there own directories etc and so on but still handy for many, althou you have no option but to use it if your host has added it, so it is a matter of getting used to the new feature.

Regards,
Mathew
Last edited by genieuk on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.