Modify Master Frame Publish Entire Web Site Question

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
LJLachance

Modify Master Frame Publish Entire Web Site Question

Post by LJLachance »

Reviewing the forum I see this has been asked before with the answer being that "the entire site must be republished" if you make a change to the "master frame". This answer goes back (according to the timestamp) to 2006. I just want to clarify... I am using "master frame" throughout my site. I have my navigation menu in the master frame. IF I make a change to an item in the menu, such as change a link or add a new item, please confirm that I MUST republish the entire site. AND, if this is the case, is there another option that would allow me to make changes to the master frame, in particular the navigation menu, that would only require publishing the "master frame" and have it be applicable to all pages?

Is it possible I should be using the "master page" option instead? Another part of the reply to the previous post said that I could "publish HTML" only. I plead ignorance with this... would publishing "HTML only" change the link or add the new menu item without impacting the remaining pages?

Some insight is appreciated.
Pablo

Re: Modify Master Frame Publish Entire Web Site Question

Post by Pablo »

IF I make a change to an item in the menu, such as change a link or add a new item, please confirm that I MUST republish the entire site.
Correct, you will need to republish all pages that use the master frame (not the master frame page itself)
AND, if this is the case, is there another option that would allow me to make changes to the master frame, in particular the navigation menu, that would only require publishing the "master frame" and have it be applicable to all pages?
No

The reason for this is because there is no such a thing as 'master frame' in HTML. It's a WWB feature.
The master frame is not part of the website and this page is not on the server, it only exists during design time.
When you publish the page, then the master page and the content page will be merged into one HTML page.
There is no way to only publish the part of the page that has been changed. You cannot insert or remove data from a page that is on the server.
Is it possible I should be using the "master page" option instead?
No, this works the same.
would publishing "HTML only" change the link or add the new menu item without impacting the remaining pages?
If you use a menu with HTML/CSS only, then this may work. But if the menu uses JavaScript then this will not work.
bkjohns

Post by bkjohns »

Correct me if I'm wrong, Pablo, but if only making changes to a menu on the master page, publishing the entire site via the option to publish only changed items or html only should work, shouldn't it?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Correct me if I'm wrong, Pablo, but if only making changes to a menu on the master page, publishing the entire site via the option to publish only changed items or html only should work, shouldn't it?
I do not think that will work, because this only applies to the page content not to changes in the master page.
LJLachance

Post by LJLachance »

If you use a menu with HTML/CSS only, then this may work. But if the menu uses JavaScript then this will not work.
Please pardon my ignorance here but ... is the "responsive menu" and HTML/CSS only menu?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

The responsive menu only uses JavaScript if either ''affix' or 'close on click URL' is enabled.