Publish Freezing

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
Mauly

Publish Freezing

Post by Mauly » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:13 am

I'm having a problem Publishing a page containing a Gallery with 30-40 pictures. When I click Publish it starts out fast but then periodically freezes for ~15 seconds at "Response 227 Entering Passive mode....". It gets progressively slower, freezing more frequently until it finally fails.

I've increased timeout to 200 sec and changed FTP to winsock, which seemed to help. My internet speed is great and I don't seem to have any other problems. If I only put a few pictures in the Gallery it eventually succeeds but not with long delays.

The pictures are jpg and I've compressed them to ~60kb each. But when I look at the destination folder, WYSIWYG renamed each as albumname_largefilename.html

I'm using the generic Photo Album extension. I tried another album extension and had the same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pablo

Re: Publish Freezing

Post by Pablo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:20 am

Maybe your firewall blocks the connection?
Did you add webbuilder to the exception list?

Mauly

Post by Mauly » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:12 am

I tried turning off the firewall. No joy. Anyway, I would expect the firewall to completely block the connection. This seems to work but it pauses for long periods while uploading.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:27 am

Maybe the software is just busy eprocessing the data?

Do you have the same problem when you publish a simple page (without lots of images)?

Mauly

Post by Mauly » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:39 am

Pablo, maybe you can explain to me how this all works. I added the Photo Album Extension and put in a list of picture filenames. It looks like those files are not uploaded to the host server in their original form but turned into html, I assume to add page placement info. etc. Are the images further compressed? Or does all this happen via the Extension? If so, maybe the Extension is the culprit?

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:12 am

First note that there is no support on (free) extensions, they are provided "AS IS".

The Photo album extension creates smaller (thumbnail) versions of the images.
The size of these images depends on your settings (thumbnail size and large image size).
If you the source images are very large then it may take a lot of time to generates these images. Therefor it is recommended to resize the images before adding them to the page.

Mauly

Post by Mauly » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:15 pm

I have no problem publishing the website when there is no images.
Question: There is a Publishing option "Publish File of Modified Objects Only". Will that option publish newly added objects also? If I try to publish a page and it times-out incomplete, Should I be able to use this option to only send the missing files?

I'm looking for a work-around short of creating several smaller galleries on different pages.

BTW, I spoke to my Hosting Co. - GoDaddy and they ran some monitoring tools. They are just seeing my FTP pause. Not a server loading or resource issue on their end.

Thank you

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Unfortunately, the option "Publish File of Modified Objects Only" does not work for extensions because extensions generate their own code and files.

Note that this is not a common problem, no one has ever reported any issue with this extension.
So, this is more likely related to a firewall or other utility on your system that blocks the connection.
It may even be related to the name of the file which triggers the firewall/virus scanner.

Do you have the same problem when you do a local preview?
If not then it's a network related issue.

Mauly

Post by Mauly » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:01 pm

I agree that it's likely a Network Issue, however, the nature of the WYSIWYG Publish utility precludes manual work-arounds (that I'm aware of). If there is some way I could upload 40 individual image files this would be a minor inconvenience involving the retransmission of a small number of small files. As it currently functions I cannot Publish my website as it never completes a Publish.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:57 am

Did you try a local publish and then upload the files manually?
Once the files are on the server you can select 'Don't publish assets' in the object manager for the extension.

Mauly

Post by Mauly » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:52 am

Thank you. That's what I needed. So if I Publish Locally, am I correct in assuming it will create folders and put the files in the correct folders?

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:04 pm

So if I Publish Locally, am I correct in assuming it will create folders and put the files in the correct folders?
Correct