using backup for cleaning my ftp server

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
UncleEti

using backup for cleaning my ftp server

Post by UncleEti » Sat May 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Hello,
I have tons of unused images on my ftp server. My web site has been there for 15 yrs now. And I am slightly beyond my allowed server size too. I am trying to think of a way of cleaning those unused image:

1) purely simply suppress all my files from the server and download again my site ; but is not that a bit dangerous?
2)use the "backup project on the server"of wb (which will p... off my host provider because I be will twice above the amount of space allowed). And only then move the files from this"backup file" to the normal "www" place on the server once I don't encounter any risk of losing something. I have never used backup, maybe impossible.
3) Learn, due to the science of this forum'people another good and smart way to do that.
Thank you

WWBman

Re: using backup for cleaning my ftp server

Post by WWBman » Sat May 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Just a suggestion that might enable you to delete old files.
Go to your host’s cPanel (or equivalent) File Manager and for each folder click the Date Written column.
This will give you an idea of which files haven’t been written for a long time which may indicate they can be deleted.
Ideally, I do a full publish so I can see immediately which files were not written by the full publish.

UncleEti

Post by UncleEti » Sat May 12, 2018 4:24 pm

It worked like a breeze.
Just a remark if someone reads that.
-first select the files of your project on your personnal hard disk
-move them to the server and, then, they will have a tag saying at what time you dit that;
Starting from that, as said above, you will have just to suppress files with a different -and of course anterior- date.
In my case, I suppressed around 750 unused images !
Thank you WWWBman !
:D

WWBman

Post by WWBman » Sat May 12, 2018 5:01 pm

Glad that helped.
I always use the built-in Publish option in WWB.
I reckon it's far less prone to error than doing it 'manually' with a separate ftp program.