Local preview ok but not on the web server

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
lewcha

Re: Local preview ok but not on the web server

Post by lewcha » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Pablo wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:43 pm
The file names of the images are incorrect.

Please read:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3748
and
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131
The majority of my images work and they were taken from my PC picture folder. The pics that do not work have similar name construction and also taken from my PC. Please could you elaborate how the file name could be incorrect so that I have a guide. Why does the preview work and the publish not?
I have tried renaming the jpg file - i.e taking out blank spaces but to no avai. I am sorry I am not an experienced computer programmer (that is why I purchased WYSIWYG)

lewcha

Post by lewcha » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:53 pm

The majority of my images work and they were taken from my PC picture folder. The pics that do not work have similar name construction and also taken from my PC. Please could you elaborate how the file name could be incorrect so that I have a guide. Why does the preview work and the publish not?
I have tried renaming the jpg files - i.e taking out blank spaces but to no avail. I am sorry I am not an experienced computer programmer (that is why I purchased WYSIWYG)

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:57 pm

The reason why it works locally and not on the server is because the file system of the server is different (Windows vs Linux).
A white space is considered to be a separator and the name is cut off. So the browser requests a file (via JavaScript) that does not exist.
Note that this has nothing to do with the application., although it does give you a warning about this in the Error Reports.

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:05 pm

I am sorry I am not an experienced computer programmer.
You do not need to be a computer programmer to use the software. What is just required is that images used have web safe names otherwise you may run into issues with them.

Note the use of web safe image naming doesn't just apply to the software it is a web standard and a server requirement so just because some images work doesn't mean they are safe to use.

I would suggest that you read the two urls giving by Pablo again and make the changes to the images once you have done this I would suggest removing all images you have previously uploaded/published from your server and then reapply the renamed images and upload/publish again and view.

As I have mentioned image naming is a web server/host requirement and not related to the programme it is the same for any web tool/programme you may use.