FTPS Notice from Yahoo Hosting

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.

FTPS Notice from Yahoo Hosting

Postby wizzyone » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:36 am

I recv'd an email from Yahoo Web Hosting today that says they are going to kill FTP file transfer capability on 9/12/2012 because they are moving to FTPS. :shock:

Part of their email reads as follows: If you use FTP to publish your website or to upload/transfer content, make sure that you have updated the settings in your FTP client before September 2012, at which time we will decommission the ability to use FTP to transfer files. If you have not updated your settings before the decommission of the FTP, you will not be able to establish a connection to transfer content.

I have 3 web sites built with Web Builder and I use it's built in FTP publishing tool exclusivley and am very concerned about this. Do you guys/gals at WYSIWYG have any intention of updating Web Builders FTP tool to the FTPS standard well before September 12,2012 :?: If not, why not and more importantly,your involvement and guidance towards a solution would be appreciated. :|

Please respond ASAP. Thank You.

Image(s) of the email are below. :arrow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wizzyone

Re: FTPS Notice from Yahoo Hosting

Postby support » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:45 am

Do you guys/gals at WYSIWYG have any intention of updating Web Builders FTP tool to the FTPS standard well before September 12,2012

No we do not have any plans to include FTPS support because there are to many variants of this protocol. It would take months to implement this functionality and there would be no time left to do anything else.

The solution is to publish your files locally first and then use a tool like FileZilla to upload the files to the server.
support
Site Admin

Postby wizzyone » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Don't know. I will double check but I don't think so. I just walked in so give me a few hours to get organized and I will try to find out this evening. Stay tuned. :|
wizzyone

Postby wizzyone » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 pm

It doesn't look like Yahoo is going to be providing anything for FTPS per se. "If you already have an FTP tools, make sure that it supports FTPS. If you are unsure if your tool supports FTPS, we suggest reviewing the programs help files, you should be able to find the answer there. If your current tool, does not support FTPS you will need to download one that does."

Other questions answered might be:http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/smallbusiness/webhosting/gftp/ftps-09.html

IMHO.....go ahead and dive in to FileZilla and figure out what to do from there. FileZilla's help is really candid and helpful. Good luck.

WizzyOne
wizzyone

Postby wizzyone » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:48 pm

BTW..... :arrow: Yahoo has there own web site authoring software but it doesn't measure up to anything available out there like Web Builder etc. :? (unless it is a really simple site you are building) :wink:

WizzyOne
wizzyone

Postby brettloe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:01 am

Wizzy try googling Bitvise Tunnelier , you just set it up , login in then use Webbuilder FTP as per normal. I 've been using this get around now for nearly 2 years for one of my sites without a hitch
Cheers Brett
Thanks Brett
www.ralhomes.com.au
brettloe

Postby mosaic » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:37 pm

I also have Yahoo web hosting. I've considered switching to another web host that will allow me to keep the ease of uploading stuff to my site, but I'm not sure how much space I need. Yahoo is unlimited, which I probably don't need. I've also considered ditching my site and going with a social media (I don't like Facebook, which is what most folks tell me I should use). Any suggestions?

mosaic
http://www.loisannmarler.com
mosaic

Postby wizzyone » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:41 pm

I would assume that the new CEO at Yahoo doesn't have any other plans to "improve" Yahoo's hosting but then again who knows. I have resigned myself to using FileZilla as it provides for FTPES. I should probably learn how to upload my own files for all 3 of my sites, one of which is not small. I have done some experimenting with the lesser of the 3 and it isn't that hard. I am very curious to see if the folks at WebBuilder change their mind and take a stab at incorporating FTPES or similar in their next update....which I think is coming in Sept. :|

It is nice to be able to just push a button and have your site loaded up automatically but all that has done for me at this point in time is made me lazy. I will not be switching my hosting from Yahoo. I have spent many an hour (total) with them on the phone fixing legitimate problems on my end and every single time they are as competent and professional as it gets. More than once they have assisted me with incidental problems surrounding the original one which in my opinion, in all fairness, they were not required to do. After Sept 12th I may have a different perspective but I doubt it.

IMHO don't switch your hosting away from them. You could find a cheaper host but you will get what you pay for.
:wink:
wizzyone

Postby wizzyone » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:45 pm

BTW....I'm sorry...I don't use or know anything about "social media" like Facebook etc. My opinion on the subject would not be worth a bucket of warm spit. :)

Maybe somebody else can jump in with a suggestion or two.
wizzyone

Postby wizzyone » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Greetings, fellow WYSIWYG persons...! This is a follow-up to this thread albeit later than I anticipated. Apparently Yahoo either changed their mind about the FTPS requirement or they postponed it all together. Hopefully they never implement it. :roll:

Anyway......by now those of you using Yahoo as your host noticed that the Web Builder FTP tool works just fine....so far. Maybe the new CEO stopped this customer killing idea before it could get off the ground. :P It hasn't been that long since they threatened to do it...... so any day now, I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden we had to fall back to plan "B". :shock:

Any input or comments? :idea:

Mike in Georgia
wizzyone

Postby mosaic » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Looks like Yahoo is serious about the change to FTPS (beginning Feb. 19), so I have a little time to scale my learning curve! I am trying to figure out how to use FireFTP (the firefox FTP add-on), and I'm feeling like a fish out of water. I saw a tutorial on YouTube, and I successfully downloaded the add-on and created a new account. I can see my computer files in the left pane, and all my Yahoo site files in the right pane. But I can't figure out what to select to upload to my site. I know I'm supposed to click on a file in my computer then sent it to the other side, but I don't know what file that is. The directory is set up differently than just using the WYSIWYG program and pushing the handy little "Publish" button. HELP! Thanks.

mosaic
mosaic

Postby mosaic » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:11 pm

I figured it out. I wasn't publishing to a local folder first. It all makes sense now.

mosaic
mosaic

Postby wizzyone » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:40 pm

:o Is it my imagination or has Yahoo still not pulled the trigger on this FTPS thing yet? They said yesterday was "it".. :!:
I tried using the WebBuilder ftp tool today and two other FTP tools (Filezilla and CoreFTP Lite)....all 3 are still set to the FTP mode and all 3 still work. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but so far it has not. Any feedback that can contribute speculation or explanation will be welcomed. Your thoughts? :?

Mike
wizzyone

Postby wizzyone » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:13 am

Uhhh,jeez ! .....they did it this morning ! :( All 3 of my sites are now no longer available for upload using the built in client. I will be asking a lot of questions so hang in there with me. I know a lot of stuff but, this upload thing using Filezilla ain't one of 'em. I did get all 3 sites to connect in Filezilla using the Yahoo suggested settings but exactly how to get the files and folders (and what files and folders where) up the pipe to the hosting server still eludes me. It's not a question of knowing how to use Filezilla....it's a question of exactly where the files and folders are in Webbuilder and what files and folders to drag and drop (and where) into the server side of the Filezilla window.....and what about the old files and folders that are there? Do I have to delete the files and folders presently on the server and reload the whole site using the yet to be understood method?

I guess I am being very cautious about screwing with any of the files and folders already on the server or hosing the server with new ones. I have been reading the forums and instructions until my eyes bleed but I must be overlooking something. :oops: Any step by step guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Once I learn this it will "stick" I assure you.

Mike in Georgia
wizzyone

Postby support » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:09 am

We cannot provide support on FileZilla. But I'm sure your web host will gladly help you find the correct location to publish your website to.
Basically you must upload all generated files to the root of your web site.

Related tutorial:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/publish.html
support
Site Admin

Next

Return to Previewing and Publishing Questions