*** SOLVED *** Software crashes everytime I try to publish

Issues related to previewing and publishing your web site.
petertj

Re: *** SOLVED *** Software crashes everytime I try to publish

Post by petertj » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:05 pm

The 'test connection' verifies the connection between the PC and the target web server and verifies the FTP connection on the chosen port. With the passive mode un-ticked failure are only occasional. Even if the FTP connection is unobtainable the application should not freeze as it does.

With passive mode ticked the the application is still freezing with the same Exception error.

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Have you increased the timeout? Have you tried with a external FTP such as Filezilla or cuteftp? Have you tried uploading without the fonts? I also noticed that you are using Bluehost and from reading they have been having issues with downtime as far back as the 1st if November. Are you sure it not a host issue? I would try a external FTP as mentioned and if the issue remains they it is safe to say it not the software. I would also contact your host Bluehost and confirm they are not having issues.

petertj

Post by petertj » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:28 pm

The FTP timeout is set for 30 seconds and I have tested 60 seconds without any change to the problem.

Filezilla (latest version) works just fine.

The satisfactory use of Filezilla suggests that the service from Bluehost is currently without error
I have checked with PlusNet who supply my broadband service and they have reset the service with a new fixed IP address and say they can't identify any negative issues.

I'm sorry to not to be able to report that none of your suggestions have worked yet. Of course nobody can be absolutely sure about either a broadband suppler of a server host such as Bluehost are providing a completely stable service unless you have that kind of application software.

Strange although it may seem to you Baconfries, I am/was a certified Microsoft Systems Engineer and worked full time as as an certified MCNE both for and on behalf of Novell before it was annihilated by Microsoft.

Thanks for your help - it is appreciated.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:40 pm

The 'test connection' verifies the connection between the PC and the target web server and verifies the FTP connection on the chosen port.
Test connection only verifies the command connection of FTP, not the data connection. Data will be transferred on a different port.
It is not very common that FTP works with PORT mode and not PASSIVE mode. Normally PORT mode is blocked and using passive mode is handled correctly by the firewall.

But based on this information, I am sure there is a problem with your connection somewhere.
This issue has nothing to do with the original topic (crash).
Either your firewall is blocking the connection (which may explain the timeout/passive mode issues) or there is another error in the configuration.

Did you also try with 'winsock' FTP engine?
Or maybe you will need to connect with Secure FTP?

Related FAQ (please read carefully)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36493

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:29 pm

Just like what Pablo has mentioned maybe Bluehost has changed the way you upload and now requires you to use SFTP this would explain why Filezilla works. The FTP in the programme does not support this unless you add the following extension (paid) Secure FTP you can download a demo to try but note it has limited function till you buy.

petertj

Post by petertj » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:31 am

Baconfries, I bought all the FTP/SFTP add-ons when I upgraded from 11 to 12. Yours is a good, constructive suggestion and I'll put it to the test later today. If what you say about Bluehost dismissing FTP on Port 21 is true it is really unsatisfactory customer service not to have advised their clients.

However, as a certified systems engineer with rather a lot of in-field commercial experience, I am still perplexed as to why Filezilla has no problems whatsoever in sending/receiving web files to/from the same Bluehost sites using straight FTP on port 21. That it does is an indication that this port is not barred by any firewall or that Bluehost has not made the change you have intimated, as Pablo suggests.

Pablo, I agree with you about the function of the WWB test facility. I neither believed nor claimed that it was anything other than a quick handshake. There is still an elephant in the room; WWB is malfunctioning when confronted by this issue. If you look at the video whose link I posted above, you will see that when the application encounters the problem a border darkened around the sending information area. At the same time, the whole WWB picture becomes faded and inactive. Clearly the video side of things is affected as well as the functionality of the application.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:33 am

That it does is an indication that this port is not barred by any firewall or that Bluehost has not made the change you have intimated
Firewall settings are application specific. So what works for one application may not work for another based on your settings.
At the same time, the whole WWB picture becomes faded and inactive.
This is because the application (or rather the FTP engine) is trying to contact the server. So it blocks the user interface until it gets a reply from the server.
If your firewall (or anything else) is blocking the connection then it will also block the application until the API times out.
This will not happen when your settings are correct.

Everything indicates that this is a network/configuration related issue.

Did you try to connect with winsock or SFTP?

petertj

Post by petertj » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:58 am

I did test Winsock and loads of other parameters. But this did not resolve the causal issue.

On Baconfries' suggestion (bless him!) I started asking questions of Bluehost:
  • they have/had not changed the requirement to SFTP or anything else.
  • My configuration for the account was precisely as it should be.
  • Circumnavigating the FTP accounts by using a master login to the root of the server facility provided an error free upload
In conclusion, I was grateful for the admission that they had experienced issues with the configured FTP accounts which acted as a partial firewall. The solution is to erase and recreate these accounts.

I am obliged to both you Baconfries and you Pablo for your suggestions and for your persistence (what a noble and very helpful attribute staying power is). The solution is found even if the effect still nags at me and I don't understand application development.

Finally, I have been earning a crust in the IT business since 1980 but, apart from Wordperfect 4.2, I know of no other Application which deserves as much praise and appreciation as WWB. Quite apart from the job it does it has the capacity to give the illusion that an old Network Engineer is an Artist. Thank you.

Case Closed