Website Menu

Issues related to hyperlinks and web site navigation.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
BethlehemOffice

Website Menu

Post by BethlehemOffice » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:40 pm

Ok, I've tried every default menu option and I just can't get what I want.

I have a master page with a navigation menu (currently it's a CSSMenu). I want that menu to behave the same on ALL my web pages - I want the drop downs or pop outs so that users can navigate to ANY page from ANY page. Unfortunately it does not, no matter what choices I select. There's only like 20 pages total so not a huge website. I have 3 levels of pages that look something like this.

Index
Area 1
Area 1-a
Area 1-b
Area 2
Area 2-a
Area 2-a-1
Area 2-a-2
Area 2-a-3
Area 3

The CSS menu works great on the 1st level pages (Area 1, 2 & 3) but when you go down one level (Area 2-a, area 3-a) it only shows the parent levels in the menu. So on page Area 1-a, I only see Area 1, Area 2 and Area 3 the same with the 3rd level pages (Area 2-a-1). I've tried Sync with parent, sync with current, sync with child, sync with 1st and something always goes missing.

The overlay has the nifty side arrows but the menu closes when you try to use them.

Like I said, I think I've tried every default option and it can't be this hard. I really don't want to have to resort to coding my own menu.

Pablo

Re: Website Menu

Post by Pablo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:46 pm

To be able to help you I need to see what you have done.
Please always include the URL of the page or a copy of your project.
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=82134

BethlehemOffice

Post by BethlehemOffice » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:16 pm

http://bethlehemvinton.org/NewTest/Index.html

I'm still very much in the process of building this website so it's in flux. Not sure what's working and not at the moment. :) And I hadn't really wanted to make it publicly available so I hadn't posted it in my original question. But there's nothing currently in there that's 'private' - I think. LOL

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:48 pm

The issue lies due to you have used links on the menu items, any menu item that have sub items should not have links.
If used on mobile devices that do not have on cant use 'hover' and you click the menu item then the mobile browser will open the link rather than opening the sub menu.

BethlehemOffice

Post by BethlehemOffice » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:55 pm

I think what you're saying is the parent is a link to a page and the child is a link to a page. Is that right? (I did not add anything to the menu, didn't edit it, didn't do anything other than add it to the master page and select sync).

If that's true, why does it behave correctly on the Index/Home page and none of the others? Anyways, I think I get what you're saying and I'll have to rethink my approach to navigation. Thanks. I now know what's behind the behavior.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:58 pm

I think what you're saying is the parent is a link to a page and the child is a link to a page.
A menu item can only do one thing. Either is opens a sub menu or it triggers a link.
In general, menu items with sub items should not have a link, It will certainly not work on mobile devies, because in that case there is no 'hover state, so the sub menus will never be displayed.
This is true for all multiple-level menus.

BaconFries

Post by BaconFries » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:09 pm

I did not add anything to the menu
But you have, if I view in a Mobile browser there is no 'Hover' to trigger the sub menu, so I have to then click which in turn does trigger the sub menu briefly but it also navigate's to the 'Worship' page. This is why you cannot use 'Hover' and 'Link' together in 'Mobile' design.

BethlehemOffice

Post by BethlehemOffice » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks, I do understand why it doesn't work in the way I expected. I will have to rethink my navigation.
I don't think many of my users will be using their phones ... currently... but I'm sure that will change as our members get older.