Link root recursive to submenu pages

Issues related to hyperlinks and web site navigation.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
juergen_riedl

Link root recursive to submenu pages

Post by juergen_riedl »

Problem with (most) recent version of WWB14 I recently purchased:
short description:
in an homepage index.html the link via a menu bar to a sub page is by example: "./folder1/page1.html". When I click on this link, that page1.html appears in the browser. Clicking then on the menu item home(index.html) fails, because the link generated by WWB14 is "./index.html" insted of "../index.html". Having the mouse hovering above the home menu firefox shows the generated link at the bottom left as "./folder1/index.html".

This behaviour is independent on the kind of menu bar I select.

I checked it with either versions of WWB14, I even deleted this version, rebooted and reinstalled. The behaviour ist still the same. Is there a configuration I missed?

Thanks, Jürgen
Pablo

Re: Link root recursive to submenu pages

Post by Pablo »

Is the menu part of a master page?
If yes, is that master page in the same folder as the page?

Internal links are relative to the current page so if the master page is in a different folder, then the links will not be valid.
juergen_riedl

Post by juergen_riedl »

Thank you Paulo for your fast answer.

The master frame (with conten place holder) is lokated in the root folder, that is, where index.html is located.
Does your comment suggest, to have in all folders a copy of this master frame? Or did I misunderstood the concept of the master frame?
What can I do, to make use of the master frame having for the entire site only one?
Thank you, Jürgen
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Correct. the master page/frame should be in the same folder ads the pages that are using it.
Links are relative to the current folder, so if you call the master page from another folder then the links will not be valid.
juergen_riedl

Post by juergen_riedl »

Thank you Paulo for your immediate reply,
now it works.
Jürgen
juergen_riedl

Post by juergen_riedl »

There is still a bug.

I copied the master frame into the repective folder and giving it an afterfix letter of the folder e.g. master_frame-f. I verified in the properties page that the links to the pages e.g. index.html are still there and selected it for test again. A rebuild of the site results in the old behaviour with wrong links.
Only after a resync with "Syncronice with Site Manger" the links are updates correctly. Unforunately then all customizations linke Awesom Icons, new names are gone and need a rebuild.

Can that be fixed, Paulo?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I do not think the problem is in the application. it has been working like this for years and it is logically that links in from another folder do not work.
If you still have a problem then the structure of the website may still be wrong.
Without seeing what you have done it will be difficult to help you with this.
https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum ... 10&t=82134
juergen_riedl

Post by juergen_riedl »

Hi Paulo,

to prepare for your help I cleaned up all I did. I deleted all master frames in the subfolders (I understood your suggestion such, that each subfolder needs a master frame because the links in the master frame are relative to the subfolder) to show you how the failure happens step by step.

The menu(s) of master frame where also cleand up and ... drum roll ... Now all links with *one master frame only* in the root of the site, even for the subfolders will be generated correctly. For those who have also troubles once, here is what I did:

On my master frame (which is on the level of the index.html) there is in the header on menu and in the footer two css menus as short cut to important pages. The menue in the header is the ResposiveMenue ( which provides deep links on multiple sub folder levels). Since the menu was already customized with Awesam Icons and special wording like: agb.html became as Headline "Allgmeine Geschäftsbedingungen" and an menu item "AGB" I did not want to automatically redo the menu with "Synchronice with SiteManager" as the all custonizations will the be lost. Instead I set all and every link to index.html, confirmed all with OK, closed the properties of the menue with OK finally, reopend the properties page of the menu again and set the links correctly. Thats ist. Then the sithe is generated with one master frame as I expected and also deep links work.

Thanks, Jürgen
digizar

Post by digizar »

do not think the problem is in the application. it has been working like this for years and it is logically that links in from another folder do not work.
I thought that this would be a major advantage of WWB.
Think about the users who do not have any knowledge how to build websites. If they see the layout in the Site Manager, they think that this structure would be created by the WWB. It's misleading. Should really be changed. Please.
It took me a few days to find out that this is not the case.
You really should create absolute linkpaths instead of relative links ./../xxx
https://blumenfotos.org/

My solution so far, as Jürgen Riedel already mentioned:
I create a copy of the MasterPage (or create an new page with the 'basic' MasterPage p_m as 'content').
Put that copy in the path of the affected page(s), and everything is fine. Bit strange for my taste.
Sure a complete re-build would be required.
My project will be very huge, therefore I need a structured layout. But I can survive so far. :)

Sample screen shot, correct version:
The 'white' pages links did not work if the 'p_farben' was not inside the folder 'white'. Links worked only inside the 'farben' folder, not to any page else. Because these p_xxxx did reside in the root.
* p_m (root) is the general Master Page for the whole site, located in the root.
* p_farben is the mentioned 'masterpage' for this particular folder 'white', based on p_m.
Used also inside the other folders as p_galerien, p_sorten, which all are 'master pages', to have the 'p_m' als basic Master Page.
One may exclude these 'masterpages' from being exported to the target server (the red x).

For clarification the bad structure.
Ask question only if there is no answer yet.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

This issue has nothing to do with the software. It is logically that relative links do not work from another folder.
Relative links are only valid in the folder they are relative to.
I do not think is is 'misleading' because nowhere did I say that this will work.
Note that if the software would create absolute links then the page could not be published or previewed to another other location.
juergen_riedl

Post by juergen_riedl »

Hi digizar,

I was the one who raised this question.

After I added all the master frames to every subfolder, I realized, that this is not necessary. I can not remember what I did, but to verify, that this holds true I think I started with a clean new projekt. Now I have only _one_ master fram and all sub pages point to this master frame and all workes fine recursively.
My master frame is in the root directory as the index page.

Best regards
Jürgen
digizar

Post by digizar »

Well, I did the same :lol:
I figured, that the positions of the master pages 'somehow' determine the (relative) paths to the varios pages in a project.
It took me a few weeks on a daily base. There should be a simple discription.
Not everone is an expert in the UNIX world, though I am.

Recently -yesterday- I figured how the InlineFrames may be used, very nice, but also obviously. :P
Anyway, this tool is very excellent useful. Thank you! I've learned a lot from open Element, a free program very similiar.
But WWWB needs a very steep information time to become recently acquainted. It's worth it.
I do that just for fun. I'm retired since 15 years, so no need to shuffle in the money anymore. Pretty nice feeling.

My working structure now:
The /m is the base master page, not necessarily to be exported
The m_xxx at the end of each folder are based on /m
The objects inside /text contain the content of the mentioned InlineFrames.
The order/sequence of the objects inside te colour directories determine the oder how they are accessed with 'prev-next' buttons (Smart Links).
Everything else may be seen on the real Website: https://blumenfotos.org/.
Ask question only if there is no answer yet.