navigation buttons change

Issues related to hyperlinks and web site navigation.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE YOU POST:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1901

MUST READ:
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/links.html
dbric

navigation buttons change

Post by dbric » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:04 am

I'm experiencing a very strange occurrence on some new web pages. I've added some shapes to be used as navigation buttons. In each button I have inserted some text (e.g., "1986 Reunion") and have copied the same set of buttons to many of the pages for easy navigation. However, when I copied and pasted the very same set of buttons on a new page and published it, the names on the buttons become scrambled even though the internal links are correct when I hover over them.

Here is a page where the links appear correctly (the problem is with the links in the lower bar):

http://www.cadillac76.com/CHS76/summer.html

Here is a page where the names become scrambled:

http://www.cadillac76.com/CHS76/memoriam.html

This is very odd because I copied the buttons from the correct page and pasted them to the bar on the other page (as I did with all the other pages), but for this page it didn't work.

On the home page (http://www.cadillac76.com/CHS76/home.html) I encountered some similarly strange behavior when I tried to copy and paste links: the names would be scrambled for some buttons but not all. I tried creating brand new shapes but had the same outcome. Finally I selected a different shape and didn't even format it for color or text and it appeared as an oval with text from another button. There must be something amiss with indexing or shape names, but I can't identify what's happening. I even used the object outline feature to see if there was some layer that was invisible, but that didn't point to anything unusual. I ended up using just plain text with a hyperlink.

BaconFries

Re: navigation buttons change

Post by BaconFries » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 am

If I understand correctly you are trying to copy & paste text that have links in them. If so then this is not possible this is due to the text being copied to the clipboard in standard Rich Text format (RTF) which does not support link data.
With this said if you were to copy the entire text object container itself then the links will be kept because the data will then be copied in WWB format.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:01 am

If you copy/paste a navigation bar menu then new instance of that menu will be created with unique images (eg img001.png, img002.png etc).
If you have used the same image names elsewhere in your project then this may cause a conflict,
The simplest way to prevent this is by enabling 'Use page name for image prefix' in Tools->Options->Preview -> Publish
You can also manually change the name in the Object Manager (allocated file names).

dbric

Post by dbric » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:36 am

Thanks for the analysis and suggestions. I've decided to use a menu bar navigation tool as the best solution.

TimmyLee

Post by TimmyLee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 am

where exactly in Options MGR do you change the image name? Do you mean the assigned image name, or the original name of file we import as an image. I still get errors on filenames and I've changed them all and reinserted them... the Object manager even shows the old names.

Pablo

Post by Pablo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:39 am

You should change the filename before adding the image to the page.

Note that this is unrelated to the original question of this post.